Air stone or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottishscales

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am planting my tank for the first time next weekend and i have encountered different views for the air stone or not question. I don't want to have to add co2 if i don't have to and I like the look of the air stone but I've seen that it will starve my plants... Some definitive advice of will my plants survive our should i take it out would be appreciated ☺

Would you run the air stone 24/7?

I would take it out because it increases the co2 exchange

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

i run airstone in my planted 55Gal 24/7 since it has canister filtration on it.
i'm not big plant expert and i'm sure i'm not 100% efficient, but things are still alive and growing quite well. i do dose excel/metricide however

I would want to run mine 24/7 as well. I too have a canister filter that doesn't agitate the top well. So if yours are growing fine I'm sure mine will too

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn

instruction says you supposed to do it daily.

i try to dose after i feed the fish but sometimes i forget. and sometimes i forget to dose for entire week :oops: i'm sure i could experience much better growth rates, but plants still survive and produce enough to keep clipping and thats good enough for me. so at least in my case i don't think airstone makes big difference .

I believe aerated water is healthier water. Your plants allegedly don't use Co2 when the lights are off. So put the air pump on a timer so it's on during the lights out periods.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom