Air Stone??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pmcgoldie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everybody! I have had fish for about 4 years now, and I've never had an air stone...do I need one? My fish for the most part have always seemed fine, but I've heard from quite a few people that it is required, are they right??

No not necessarily. Air stones are more for aesthetic purposes then anything. Depends on the rest of your set up and your fish tho too

Hey everybody! I have had fish for about 4 years now, and I've never had an air stone...do I need one? My fish for the most part have always seemed fine, but I've heard from quite a few people that it is required, are they right??

Aeration in aquariums happens mostly at the water's surface, and is aided by surface agitation. The little waves or ripples in the water's surface create friction with the air thereby promoting gas exchange and oxygenating the water.

The outflow of most filters creates sufficient surface agitation in most cases, and the addition of an airstone does little to increase oxygenation above and beyond what the filter already does -- and are therefore pretty much purely aesthetic.

An airstone will help if there is no other means of surface agitation, but again, if your filter already provides this, the airstone won't make much of a difference.

My fish do like to play in the bubbles sometimes though. :)

Best!

RussellC said:
Aeration in aquariums happens mostly at the water's surface, and is aided by surface agitation. The little waves or ripples in the water's surface create friction with the air thereby promoting gas exchange and oxygenating the water.

The outflow of most filters creates sufficient surface agitation in most cases, and the addition of an airstone does little to increase oxygenation above and beyond what the filter already does -- and are therefore pretty much purely aesthetic.

An airstone will help if there is no other means of surface agitation, but again, if your filter already provides this, the airstone won't make much of a difference.

My fish do like to play in the bubbles sometimes though. :)

Best!

+1! That is the most thorough explanation I've ever heard for this! awesome!

Do You Need an Airstone

Hello P...

No airstone is required. Your standard filtration equipment will be enough to mix oxygen and water and release carbon dioxide.

B

Back
Top Bottom