airstone question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blueangel4730

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 29g has a hob filter and a 20 inch airstone in the back. My marble angel doesnt much care for the water flow, do I even need the airstone or is my hob filter putting enough oxygen in the water?

Blueangel4730 said:
My 29g has a hob filter and a 20 inch airstone in the back. My marble angel doesnt much care for the water flow, do I even need the airstone or is my hob filter putting enough oxygen in the water?

The gas exchange happens at the surface, more agitation means more exchanges I believe (something to do with the larger surface area for reactions I guess)

Air stones are generally used if the filter doesn't agitate the surface enough, if your filter does Id say you don't need the stone.

It's about surface agitation and water flow from bottom to top so you get an exchange of gasses. There's more oxygen on the surface than the bottom so the key is to get water flowing from top to bottom and surface agitation.

I have a tall 35 gallon hex so that's an issue for me. The entire surface of my top is disturbed and gently flowing water. I don't have a air stone.

Now you could lower the temperature a 2 degrees so there will be more oxygen in the water as well. Warm water holds less oxygen than cold water.

It disturbs it decent I guess. If I put my air curtain on the back glass just under the surface an inch or so would that do? It would make rough water but just at the top.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120115_133333.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120115_133333.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 58
  • ForumRunner_20120115_133400.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120115_133400.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 57
the plants will contribute to your oxygen level too so I'm pretty sure ur fine with or without the air curtain or stone, especially since you aren't overstocked or anything.

Back
Top Bottom