albino dwarf frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
well I've got my cousin now into the fish community. Her little girl is begging and pleading for a frog for the tank. So I showed her the ADF and she loves them, but I needa know some things about these guys first. so what does the ADF eat? is it any danger to any smll fish since this will be a 10 gallon. besides being an escape artist anything else I should worry about? special needs? thanks for all the advice!!

Make sure you get the AFRICAN dwarf frog, not the ALBINO frogs. Two entirely different things. :)

I feed ADF's occasionally a bottom feeder pellet that the corys get. They also will eat fallen fish food that makes it to the bottom of the aquarium. It isn't a danger, but other fish are a danger to them. I'd only add small fish to the 10 gallon. They'll only get silver dollar size at most and need to be keep underwater at all times, no land needed. Make sure you over holes in your aquarium lid. Else, they are relatively easy to care for. :)

To emphasize what was said above, there is no such thing as an Albino DWARF frog. A lot of pet stores will sell African Clawed frogs when they are really little as the dwarf ones. You can tell the difference best by their hands, the dwarf frogs aren't as "pointy" as the Clawed ones.
Here's a good site on that: http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/species/clawedordwarf.html

I have a frog (should get the pictures of him up on here sometime) and they are a bit different to take care of.

Originally i fed him the small shrimp pellets and he did eat those, but i've since switched to a floating Turtle pellet that was recommended to me online. The floating ones are easier for him to catch (a leading cause of death from what i've read is eating gravel), easier to clean and feed him, and i think they are more nutritional balanced for amphibians and reptiles. I do have a disclaimer, my frog is approaching 4 years old, and he's quite large and so can swim around the top of the tank very well, smaller and younger frogs may not be able/willing to do this. Basically, anything smaller then a few inches, like smaller then a fancy GoldFish is going to be eaten by this thing.

If you truly have/want Dwarf frogs, i have alot less to mention, but everything that i've read as said they are totaly safe, and in more danger of being eaten by big fish then anything else.

Dwarf frogs also have trouble seeing and as a result have some difficulty getting food when there are other tankmates. A good way of feeding them is to target feed them right in front of their faces. I used a turkey baster. I fed my ADF's frozen bloodworms. I also have an African Clawed frog and that is much much larger and definately a danger to other fish,=.

Back
Top Bottom