Albino Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Its been a while since I've had to start a thread on a problem with my tank but today was the worse water change I have ever had.
I was replacing the sand in my 29G and everything was gong normal. I empted the tank, took the DW out (I always double check it in case I have a cat hiding in it,) put in the new sand and was repositioning the DW back into the empty tank and I noticed that my Albino BNP had wedged himself in it. Not having any water in the tank and also not being able to stick the DW into the water bucket I had to do the next best alternative. I had to pull him out.
It was not an easy process because he was freaked out and was all flared up with his barbs (sorry if that's not the right word) on the mouth/cheek area. I was stuck three times by him and he ended up with massively torn fins. I'm so upset about it and worried he might not make it.
Will his fins grow back?
What can I do to help him with it?

Its been a while since I've had to start a thread on a problem with my tank but today was the worse water change I have ever had.
I was replacing the sand in my 29G and everything was gong normal. I empted the tank, took the DW out (I always double check it in case I have a cat hiding in it,) put in the new and and was repositioning the DW back into the empty tank and I noticed that my Albino BNP had wedged himself in it. Not having any water in the tank and also not being able to stick the DW into the water bucket I had to do the next best alternative. I had to pull him out.
It was not an easy process because he was freaked out and was all flared up with his barbs (sorry if that's not the right word) on the mouth/cheek area. I was stuck three times by him and he ended up with massively torn fins. I'm so upset about it and worried he might not make it.
Will his fins grow back?
What can I do to help him with it?

Oh man... Sorry to hear that Becca :(

Just keep the water clean and maybe add melafux to help, aquarium salt helps too from what I understand. That's what I would do.

Oh man... Sorry to hear that Becca :(

Thanks Dino :(

Just keep the water clean and maybe add melafux to help, aquarium salt helps too from what I understand. That's what I would do.

Thanks for the input Nate, I feel awful because I'm the one that tore the fins but I didn't know how else to get him out. I will feel even worse if I lose him
I am not sure if I should use salt or not due to the fact that I have a bunch of cats in the tank which can be sensitive to salt. I guess it's all just a waiting game from this point.

I would do a quarter of the recommended dose if that's the case. I added salt to mine and I had Cory cats in my tank previously, otherwise stick with melafix and constant water changes.

He seems quite active today, I was so worried last night that the stress of it all would kill him.

ForumRunner_20130123_201408.jpg

Every time I look at him I just feel so awful

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130123_201402.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130123_201402.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 67
I don't think he looks too bad. Just keep the water really clean.

He looks pretty perky. Fins should grow back without an issue. No worries. Just keep the water extra clean and keep an eye on him. :)

Ya he looks pretty happy to me. You did what you could at the time and unfortunate things happen. He's on the right path to recovery just keep up the good work

Try Voogle. It's an all natural "med" and will not harm filter. Strengthens immune system. One of my Corys got beat up and regrew all fins -- my guppies got their tails bit off and I'm hoping right now they will grow back

He's doing much better :)
I moved the DW again today and the little snot got himself stuck again, this time though I still had water in the tank so just left him in it. There was no way I was going through that mess again.

Back
Top Bottom