Algae and Nitrate problem. HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skibar70

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to this forum. About a year ago my tank of 14 years crashed and I lost all my fish except a few neons. Prior to that I have read a lot of books on fish and setting up aquariums. I have always had a lot of success with a mixed community of fish. I do a large cleaning every 6 months and change about 30 % of the water. I thought the cause was some new fish I had bought. I just let it go and dug the dead fish out but did not replace. Then I had the water tested and found out my nitrates were through the roof all other test were fine. I tried cycle, did not help. I tried something that's suppose to kill the nitrate and did 2 doses along with partial (10%) water change, did just help a little. I have 2 angels and some neon in there now. I have never had good luck with angels but these are thriving oddly enough. I have one lone albino catfish too. As soon as I remove the algae it's back within a week. WHY???? My algae eaters were never good at eating algae. When my tank was at it's best I had one plecto that got up to 8-9 inches. I even bread Kuli loaches which I have been told is impossible in captivity. Now I'm just stumped. Thanks ahead of time for your help. Sorry it got so long.

first off it would help to know a little about your tank
We need test results...
Ammonia, nitrite and Nitrate Numbers

How big is the tank?

most likely you are getting too much nitrate because you are not cleaning your tank enough, most people here recommend doing at least one 30% partial water change each week, some do more!

it would also help to know what type of algae, that will lead use better to the cause...

try this link to id algae http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

that said, welcome to AA! the best place on the web to get aquarium help!

20%-30% water change weekly is the minimum recommended if you want to keep a healthy environment for your fish. I prefer 50% weekly myself, and a few others do as well.

No chemicals will substitute for regular water changes. Doing a large cleaning once every six months won't cut it. Your water changing schedule really depends on many factors especially bioload and feeding. If you overstock your tank and tend towards over feeding then you're going to have to do more water changes in greater amounts to keep things in balance. I frequently do very large water changes. I often do water changes that are so large my fish are barely covered by the water left in the tank....apx 95%.

50% weekly or more i do. if u find it trouble some to do water changes then buy a python. will make it a breeze. check what your tap water test at for nitrates compared to your tank. for example if your tap water reads zero(like mine) and u have 60ppm of nitrates in your tank a 50% water change would knock down your nitrates to 30 just like that. another 50% would knock u down to 15. and there you go u have acceptable levels now. then do a test at the end of the week after your nitrates are at around 15 to see what they build up to. if they are 25 by the end of the week do about a 25% water change. if they are higher change more. make sense?

water changes are probably the single most important thing you can do (besides feeding your fish ofcource! :) )

Thanks for your reply. My tank is 75 Gallon. I wouldn't mind changing the water more frequently as long as I didn't have to take out everything etc. In the past I would clean filter (Biowheel) and take out all except my gravel and fish. Honestly I really take out 50 % of the water but I figured that all the articles I read etc. that that is too much. I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. It lokks sooo good when it's clean. All my other levels are perfect. Only the nitrate is off(dark pink). I syphon the water as I am vaccuming the gravel making sure to get all the waste from there. I really don't know what kind of algae it is. It hangs in green threads from my lid and some of it is brown covering my rocks and plants. I just replaced the lightbulb about 3 months ago. People at the store just sell you algae destoyer which doesn't work. I appreciate the algae link. I'll be sure to check it out. I don't overstock my tank but I think I am guilty of overfeeding. When my tank was at it's best I had a good level of bottom feeders including algae eaters and middle and top feeders with lots of places for them to hide. When you change the water weekly is it necessary to clean filter too etc???? i Have good aeriation too so the water is constantly moving. I used to use filtered water until filter broke since then it's been tapwater. I suspect that has partly something to do with it so yesterday I got a new filter. I want to get it right again once and for all. Once again thanks for your input.

One caution on the water change .... Although I think that weekly pwc is great, large water changes in an old neglected tank may cause problems. The fish are acclimatized to the very high nitrates, and if you suddenly drop the nitrates to zero, the big change in osmotic load will shock the fish & might kill them. <This is another reason a once every 6 months big cleanup is not a good idea.>

Once your nitrates are off the scale, it is prudent to bring it down slowly. I'd say 20% or so once or twice a week so you bring the levels down to normal (say 20 or under) over the course of a few weeks. Once you nitrates are down to somwhere close to your tap, then large water changes are fine.

Alternatively, if you must change out a hugh amount of water in an old neglected tank, it would be advisable to drip acclimatize the fish to the new water (which is likely very different in pH, osmotic load, electrolyte concentrations, etc. from the old tank water) .... say by using a small hose & filling up the tank over a couple hours.

do u have a pythin cleaner? i would die trying to change 50% weekly on a 75 lol. if your nitrates are above 50 then i would suggest only changing 20% twice a week for 2 weeks then start your 50% changes weekly(if u want to do that much) this will help prevent shock. as for your filter... 1 per month should be fine but make sure u just rinse the old pad in old tank water. dont waste your money on replacement filters cartridges. as long as the blue fiber is still is decent shape u are good. i say not to change it becasue all your bacteria is on that pad so changing it can casue a mini cycle in your tank.

As for me, I'm a firm believer in doing a larger PWC, no matter where your nitrates are. I have never had any problems with it, and have walked others through the same process, and the only response I get is that their fish after the PWC, generally 50%, are much more happy and playful. I even know a guy that did a 95% PWC with nitrates at above 150ppm, and no harmful affects to the fish. Only positive affects. Now the reason I believe this is, is because the fish acclimate just fine. The tank doesn't fill instantly, causing shock. the way the fish acclimate is swimming around the tank, then the hose output. They find that the fresh water is much better to swim in. Why else would they swim in the output if it wasn't better? So I have to disagree with some of the above, IMO. I've had only positive results with larger PWC's when helping others. And basically, the fish acclimate themselves by going to the water source and swimming around in it as well as back to the other parts of the tank. Filling is not an instant, shocking experience, IMO.

Lonewolfblue said:
As for me, I'm a firm believer in doing a larger PWC, no matter where your nitrates are. I have never had any problems with it, and have walked others through the same process, and the only response I get is that their fish after the PWC, generally 50%, are much more happy and playful. I even know a guy that did a 95% PWC with nitrates at above 150ppm, and no harmful affects to the fish. Only positive affects. Now the reason I believe this is, is because the fish acclimate just fine. The tank doesn't fill instantly, causing shock. the way the fish acclimate is swimming around the tank, then the hose output. They find that the fresh water is much better to swim in. Why else would they swim in the output if it wasn't better? So I have to disagree with some of the above, IMO. I've had only positive results with larger PWC's when helping others. And basically, the fish acclimate themselves by going to the water source and swimming around in it as well as back to the other parts of the tank. Filling is not an instant, shocking experience, IMO.

I do a 30-50% PWC every week and my fish love it, they are very playfull and active after i make the change. I have to agree here with LWB as he has helped me quite a bit and every bit of information that he has given me has been nothing but 100% accurate. I'm sure everyone has their own methods but the larger weekly changes have helped. I had a Nitrite issue before when i had RCS that were half eaten in my tank and the decomposing bodies caused the spike, LWB graciously put up with me annoying him for help on how to solve my issue. In the end im a fim believer in larger weekly PWC's and making sure that i dont put things in my tank that can fit in the Beacon Tetras mouths :D

-Pleco

Pleco said:
Lonewolfblue said:

I do a 30-50% PWC every week and my fish love it, they are very playfull and active after i make the change. I have to agree here with LWB as he has helped me quite a bit and every bit of information that he has given me has been nothing but 100% accurate. I'm sure everyone has their own methods but the larger weekly changes have helped. I had a Nitrite issue before when i had RCS that were half eaten in my tank and the decomposing bodies caused the spike, LWB graciously put up with me annoying him for help on how to solve my issue. In the end im a fim believer in larger weekly PWC's and making sure that i dont put things in my tank that can fit in the Beacon Tetras mouths :D

-Pleco

And don't forget your fish losses stopped in it's tracks... :)

I don't think I have a python cleaner. Will have to go and check that out. I appreciate your advice a lot. I got the algae off the lid yesterday so some light would get in again and replaced the evaporated water. No time for larger change this week. Will do my tank next weekend and get off all the algae. Have some spot algae left on windows. My aqarium is too far away from any of my faucets so I do it the hard way with large bowls of water back and forth. Normally a 6-7 hour job when it's this bad. I don't change the filter every time just clean it. I have 2 filters on each side and one I can refill on my own. Once I do the large cleaning again I will try the weekly PWC. I am also trying to leave the light off, anf just leave on for 5=6 hours when I get home. All my plants are plastic so it won't harm them. I hhave tried the real deal but they just died or got eaten. The site about the algae was very interesting. I am learning some new things and some mistakes that I have made. I'm sure I will get it right this time. :)

a python cleaner is a special cleaner that hooks up to your faucet and all u have to do is turn the faucet on and it will start sucking the water out directly into the sink. and thing with refilling. just turn the faucet on and it fills the tank back up for u. just treat the whole tank with dechlorinator before u fill back up and u are set. 30 min max with the python. u can get them up to 100 feet i think plus u can but extensions. HERE is the 75 foot model. i am sure u have a faucet within 75 feet lol. u can also get the 100, 50 and 25 foot models. it almost makes it to easy. i still use a 5 gallon jug to swap out water since i cant afford the python yet. its a good work out though lol.

I checked out the python and it is rather expensive. I ciphon out the water through a window near by and it fertilizes my flowerbed below. :) My aquarium DOES NOT get direct sunlight. I have rigged a 25 foot water hose and attached a gravel vaccum to it and it works great for me. It's easy to get the water out and not too bad to put back in. I don't mind. I crank up some good loud music and make it an enjoyable experience. The last couple of years my interest has dropped but I am now to a point where I am ready to get my old aquarium back. It seems that most of you have real plants. What are you're feelings on the plastic ones? I want clown loaches again that are 3-4 inches long and to breed my Kribs. I always had luck with them. I also have a smaller 10-gallon I use for breeding. I want to win one of your photo contest and I think I can if I just get it all right again. Wish me luck. Thanks you all. :)

i recently invested in a python, and it is well worth the money. I only needed the 25ft model, so I got the cheap way out, but I love the thing. I have done more water changes since I got it two weeks ago than i have in a month.

If you can spare the $$ to go get one, get it, it will make your life much easier.

Back
Top Bottom