Algae Bloom and lower PH problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krely

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29G semi planted tank that is having some problems. It has been up and running for about 5 months with no problems until the last few weeks. For the past month, every water change I do causes what I think is a algae bloom (Looks like white dust that is on the substrate, picture attached) and after a few days it will disappear. When cleaning, i use a siphon vacuum and stir up the gravel to get the loose debris when doing water changes.

1 Week ago the PH in the water had dropped. It had been close to 7, but had dropped in the high 5 almost 6. I did a 50% water change, and cleaned the canister filter (Rinsed off sponges and noodles, but did not do anything to the bio bag) The PH raised to 6 but has been there the past week, even after a 10% change last night. Ammonia spiked from what it had been (had been 0 or slightly above) last night, but that may have been due to cleaning I did. Did the test this morning, with these results.

PH 6.0
Ammonia - .5ppm
Nitrite - .25ppm
Nitrate - between 0-5ppm

Could it just be going through a mini cycle?

Beneficial bacteria slow down below 6.5ph and at 6.0 it stops consuming ammonia and nitrite altogether. That looks to be what you're experiencing here.

The white dust is likely precipitation of some of the elements, possibly calcium out of the new water.

I would get something to check your dkh and see where that stands. If its low that could be the root cause of your low ph.

After testing the dkh of the tank, get a cup of your water and let it sit out overnight. Then check the dkh and ph of that as well.

To resolve low ph issues in the tank, the most common remedy is a small bag of crushed coral in the filter. It slowly dissolves adding kh and raising the ph of the water.

Yeah check the KH and GH. KH is more critical here but GH is good to know.

Crushed coral didn't work for me, I have better success with a low dose of cichlid buffer as suggested by a book written by a timer editor of Tropical Fishkeeping.

Don't use proper pH or pH up. The pH will keep bouncing around and the increased stuff in the water may induce osmotic stress in the fish.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Yeah check the KH and GH. KH is more critical here but GH is good to know.

Crushed coral didn't work for me, I have better success with a low dose of cichlid buffer as suggested by a book written by a timer editor of Tropical Fishkeeping.

Don't use proper pH or pH up. The pH will keep bouncing around and the increased stuff in the water may induce osmotic stress in the fish.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom