Algae Bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skidrow52

Aquarium Advice Regular
Since I changed my lights from flourescent to Metal halides, I am seeing many different kinds of algae growing on my Live Rocks, can anyone help please?

Water Parameters
100g
Salinty : 1.024
PH : 8.2
KH: 10-11
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
NItrate : 0-5
Phosphate: 0
Calcium: 440

Water Source : R/O

I never had algae problems earlier, I had a lot of coraline algae patches growing on the rocks but since now 10 days I can see the live rocks are out growing different algaes.

Lighting:

150w x 2 HQI - 14k each
54w x 4 T5 Acnitic - 20k each
6 LED moonlights

Attachments

• DSC00689.jpg
    DSC00689.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC00696.jpg
    DSC00696.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC00690.jpg
    DSC00690.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC00694.jpg
    DSC00694.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 73
Those look like macro algae. They make good nutrient exports but I'm not too sure those are the good kind.

very cool. let them grow for a little while and we'll figure out what type it is. it's certainly macro-algae, but it's not hair algae or briopsis, so the odds of this algae taking over the tank just got a lot lower. those are the usual culprits we see in closed systems.

well, depends on how you look at it. it uses calcium. i like to save that for my corals. btw, emerald crabs love halimeda. just FYI.

Thank you gentlemen for instant replies, there is something else I noticed which I forgot to mention is that since I have the HQI's I am seeing a lot of bubbles in the sand substrate and whenever I stir the sand or any fish plays in the sand, I see hundreds of bubbles rising up, is this Nitrogen? or something related with the algae growth ? :D Sounds stupid, but I am not sure whats going on!

Back
Top Bottom