Algae cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryanstobbs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm looking for something that good at cleaning algae of the glass. What's people's recommendations
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use an unused plastic green pan scrubber. I've tried blades but they leave streaks of algae. I've tried a large magnetic aquarium glass cleaner but there's not enough pressure to remove green spot algae.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Cheers I'll give that a go. What about after do you recommend and types of snails or plecos that are good at keeping it bay

I use an unused plastic green pan scrubber. I've tried blades but they leave streaks of algae. I've tried a large magnetic aquarium glass cleaner but there's not enough pressure to remove green spot algae.

Mag float is pretty good. It will pinch you good if your not careful out of water ;)

Razor blade is more for saltwater IMO, I tried it in my freshwater to no avail but saltwater it took it right off the glass.

I've also used just a little green scrub pad for cleaning dishes to get algae off, works like a charm but is a workout, mag float works best in large tanks.

Caleb

I only clean the front glass as I like the sides and back to go a bit green, my tank is really heavily planted so they don't show much anyway.
Plecs only really eat algae when small and snails won't complexly clear it. Ultimately the front glass, at least, is a good old manual job for the fish keeper.
I keep a lot of red cherry shrimp and they graze on the bio film all day and I've not had any algae on the plants, rocks or wood. I think the shrimp nip it in the bud. They graze on the glass but it doesn't make a lot of difference.

I usually leave the algae alone on 2 of the 4 walls...and use a razor blade to scrape off the other 2 walls. As for something that will eat algae, here's one that you do not hear recommended very often, platys. They eat a ton of algae.
They may not be something you want, just throwing it out there.

Magfloat and otocinclus have worked well for me in the passed. Otocinclus are also just a fun fish to watch. They have quite the personality.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got a young bristlenose pleco. My tank was bad with algae. Not anymore. Soon as theres a tiny bit she gets it. There great for algae. But they need a decent size tank. Good filtration mixed foods like bloodworms, algae wafers and some fruit and veg. Oh and some driftwood to chew on.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mag float is pretty good. It will pinch you good if your not careful out of water ;)

Razor blade is more for saltwater IMO, I tried it in my freshwater to no avail but saltwater it took it right off the glass.

I've also used just a little green scrub pad for cleaning dishes to get algae off, works like a charm but is a workout, mag float works best in large tanks.

Caleb
Try putting the green scrub pad between a magfloat. :)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Malaysian Trumpet Snails and Nerite snails do a great job cleaning the tank glass, plants get cleaned not eaten, they also help clean any uneaten food.

Back
Top Bottom