Algae/Diotomes, I want to cry!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The API E.M. ERYTHROMYCIN did the trick! The BGA is gone and everything is going much better! I have my lights on for about 5 hours each day and that still seems to be a little much. The plants managed to all survive the baby kribs on the other hand didn't do so well, but now I have a new batch of kribs that are about a month old.

Sorry about the babies. :( Glad you seem to have things under control now.

Have you thought about some snails? A couple in your tank might be a nice little added defense against any small blooms you may get

tamtam said:
Sorry about the babies. :( Glad you seem to have things under control now.

Have you thought about some snails? A couple in your tank might be a nice little added defense against any small blooms you may get

I have a bunch of MTS in the tank and a hitchhiking unknown snail. They seem to eat some kinds of algae but not the BGA.

BGA is generally posion to most creatures (to eat) so I don't think anything actually eats Blue green algae. Alas. :-(

I Did, however just get a CO2 setup from kijiji, So hopefully that'll keep it in check for me once I remove the big stuff and dose those meds.

Did the medicine have any adverse effects? did it kill your fish because of ammonia, or the drug itself?

sudz said:
Did the medicine have any adverse effects? did it kill your fish because of ammonia, or the drug itself?

I don't think the medication killed the fish directly, I think I had to do with the ammonia spike of all the dieing algae. The little guys were only 2 weeks old :(. The BB seemed to be unharmed, as well as the plants.

So, Kinda threadjacking here...

I dosed with Hydrogen peroxide (3%)

50ml for 75 Gallons.

The cyanobacteria nearly instantly started pearling. It looks... less "uniform" where it has covered things. I've been taking pictures every 30 minutes or so.

The discus so far seem fine. When I first dosed, they turned dark for a bit, but it might have been just a rough day for them (huge gravel vacs, 40% water change..)

last checkup, they swam up to me looking for food, so I'm going to say that the hydrogen peroxide won't kill them in proper amounts. Once the bacteria starts do die, i'll do more gravel vacs.

4 hours later, everything seems to be fine.
The discus are cool. Algae has stopped generating new bubbles, but it seems... less promenant.

Ammonia test... seemed like 0... but just SLIGHTLY off color. So its possible its on the chart and not zero. Will check in an hour, and do a 20% water change. I'll then check when I get up in the morning to make sure i'm not spiking.

Nitrates were at 5ppm. Considering all the nasty substrate I kicked up today, I'm surprised its not higher.

Also, I set up the Co2 system. Its at about 14 bubbles per minute. Its set to go off with the lights. (including the reactor)

Back
Top Bottom