Algae eater for cold water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fenrisulfer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hope this is the right place for this, I'm posting from my phone so please excuse me if not!

I have a six gallon filtered tank with a Betta that has obvious potential algae issues as it is impossible to not be near a window in my apartment. The tank is not heated at this time. I have introduced a shrimp previously to eat the algae but he was terrified of the Betta and was moved to my larger, planted tank where it was far more comfortable. The Betta living in the tank can be a bit aggressive towards...anything, it really is the only hyper territorial Betta I've had.

Can anyone offer a suggestion? I need a creature who is alright in mild to cool temperatures, and is less than affected by the fish's interest.

Thanks!

Bettas really ought to be in heated water. They are fish that prefer temps around 80 degrees. If your betta is aggressive towards a shrimp, then it's also likely aggressive towards fish. IMO, snails would be your best bet. Nerite snails are not as noticeable by bettas and are excellent algae eaters.

okapizebra said:
Bettas really ought to be in heated water. They are fish that prefer temps around 80 degrees. If your betta is aggressive towards a shrimp, then it's also likely aggressive towards fish. IMO, snails would be your best bet. Nerite snails are not as noticeable by bettas and are excellent algae eaters.

+1. go with a snail... and get a heater!

Its kind of a painful irony that my Betta has no heater, considering that I annoy people to death about tormenting Bettas with small quarters, no filters, and no heaters. His heater actually broke and I've had a terrible month money wise, but he surely will be getting another ASAP! Temporarily I am having my leopard geckos help out, putting him near their very warm habitat ups his temperature to about 70-75. I won't be getting a snail until the heater issue is fixed ;) just planning!

Thanks for the snail suggestion! I had been contemplating that but was worried he may annoy even a snail terribly. I'll try that soon!

I have a nerite snail with my betta in an eight gallon and they do great. These types of snails are great algee eaters and from what I understand is they cannot reproduce in freshwater so your tank won't be over run.

he wont bother the snail .. I would suggest a mystery snail or nerite snail

I have my betta in an 8g with neons and 2 mystery snails ..

if you want you could also try some shrimp.. my betta doesn't bother them but some bettas find them a taste snack. if you do, go with ghost shrimp because they are cheap.

I think keeping him by the reptile lights is a great idea.. I understand the financial aspect ( college student with no job living on my own) just do the best you can. the betta will be fine. just a little less active in cooler water

Snails for sure. That and move the tank so its not in direct sunlight and you should be all set :)

Just a warning - my betta loves to attack snails. K have ramshorn snails and he does nip at them when he notices them.

that why mystery snails have been suggested .. they get to be around 2 inch diameter ... and they have the " trap door" so if the betta attacks them they can protect them selves and hide

Just an update; the betta doesn't bother the mystery snail at all and the algae problem is much easier to control. Due to the introduction of the heater the tank is also now heavily planted. The betta, who is now almost three, has chilled in his older age and now tolerates two tiny endler's from my bigger tank too! He glares at them from the plant he has claimed as his but doesn't bother them at all unless they try to hang out in it as well...and even then it's kind of like he's and old guy yelling at kids to stay off his lawn ;)

Back
Top Bottom