Algae Eater of some sort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orangepunkins

Aquarium Advice Activist
I Need advise on what kind of algae eater I should get. I have a 55 gal tank with community fish and a few live plants. I also have driftwood in the tank. I seem to be having issues with algae. I had a regular plecostomus which I had to re-home because he no longer cleaned the tank as it should have been and his tail was shredding my plant leaves. He was about 4-5 inches. So now I'm in need of an algae eater that does not get really big and is not agressive. Any advise will be a great help. Thank U

I would get a few Otocinclus. They stay very small and are savages when it comes to cleaning algae. They are even gentle enough to clean your most delicate plants.

-Colin

My otos never made much difference that I could tell. I still had algae form on the glass as well as other types on my plants. Depends on the type of algae the OP is dealing with.

What I did was use a magnet glass cleaner to get the bulk off then bought three Otos and let them do the rest. I don't think they can handle it on there own, but since, I haven't had any issues.

-Colin

I have 3 otos in my 55g and I never see algae. You could also try bristle nose Plecos they stay small and will actually eat algae. I think they max out at 4".

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I suggest wiping down your glass, avoiding direct sunlight into the tank, and limiting the amount of time the lights are on in the tank.

I do not have direct sunlight on the tank. And my lights are on timers from 7-12 on and off 12-4 and back on 4-7

I found these at the local petshop. I didn't buy any on this trip. I'm doing my research first.
bristlenose plecostomus $9.99
albino bushynose $5.29
otocinclus $2.49
Does anyone have these? Do they get big/aggressive/plant eaters?

The otos and BN will be fine with plants and yes they eat algae. I couldn't say about the bushy nose as I've never had one.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bushy nose and bristle nose are the same fish, you could also try nerite snails or amano shrimp if you don't have any fish big enough to eat them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bushy nose and bristle nose are the same fish, you could also try nerite snails or amano shrimp if you don't have any fish big enough to eat them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I prefer Nerite snails myself as I find bristlenoses poop ALOT....

Back
Top Bottom