Algae Eater Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CA_BroncoFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just a quick question regarding an Oto. Cat.

I have a 10 gal tank with some neons and a dwarf gouarmi. I need something to address the algae/bottom feeding. I don't have access to dwarf cory's so I was wonder about the oto's. If I get some, how many would you suggest for a 10 gal? Thanks for the input.

It is better to find out why you are having algae than to get a fish to fix it.

Otos are great algae eaters but since they are wild caught it is very very important to quarantine them so they don't bring in any parasites or disease into your tank.

They do best in small groups but in a 10 gallon there will be very little algae to go around once they settle in. Myself I would only put one in a 10 gallon because of algae and swimming space. I have 2 in a 29 gallon and there is barely enough algae to go around so I feed them at least once a week blanched vegetables.

Thing is, I don't have any algae problems. I just wanted something to take care of the potential buildup and stuff like that. I do get the ocassional reflective light from outside but I guess I was under the impression that all tanks need a "sucker fish"

Ive got a rubber lipped pleco in one of mine just because he is a cool little fish. I dont have a "sucker fish" in any of my other tanks. Like joy said, the best way to combat algae is to find the source. The best way to prevent algae is to keep your parameters in line, dont over feed, and dont run your lights too much

Since it is the sun hitting the tank you might consider some floating plants to help shade it. That is what I have done on 3 of my tanks.

Since it is the sun hitting the tank you might consider some floating plants to help shade it. That is what I have done on 3 of my tanks.

I might actually do that. Thanks!!

I have also gave thought about putting a backing on the side that gets the reflective light but well see.

i would think about some amano shrimp or snails. they would be a munch better clean up crew.

I have a pleco in my tank, and he's about 8" long and really fat. I feed him an algae wafer once or twice a day but he does his business in one end of the tank, causing a real mess. I'd like to know if anyone else's plecostamus creates so much waste? I suppose just scooping it up with a fish net would suffice, or getting in there with the hose and replacing the water afterward would also help.

The store I bought him at said they would take him back if I found he was getting too big (and too lethargic) to clean the algae from the tanks sides. My question might be what would I get to replace him? What kind of fish eats algae off the tank sides? Please don't suggest Chinese Algae Eaters, as they do nothing after a certain age, just like the pleco, and I just pulled out all of those pesky little snails.

Thanks for any advice.
Dan

dan, the solution to algae is finding the cause. having an algae eater in your tank should be for your viewing pleasure, not to try and eradicate an algae issue. Plecos in general have a huge bioload for their size, the common pleco being the worst since an adult can be measured in feet, not inches. Feeding fish twice a day is a good way to cause algae issues. I feed my fish once every 2-3 days, and only run my lights when i want to see the fish (on my non planted tanks). if you must have an algae eater, a bristlenose or rubber lipped pleco would be a much better option, as they only get to be a few inches.

Back
Top Bottom