Algae help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donf

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank has been up and running for 6 weeks. I have 46 bow with 2 maxi 1200, remora pro, canister for flow only, and 196W coral life lighting. I have 60 lbs (40 keys, 20 base) from LR.com.

For water changes I use pre-made from the LFS. For top off I use distilled water.

Over the past two weeks I have had a algae bloom on the back glass (green hair I believe). There was some on the front glass too but I kept on top of it with the mag-float. I bought 5 small turbo snails (astrea) this week. I also have 10 blue legged hermits. The snails dont seem to be doing much yet.

Questions:
1.) Any suggestions for the green hair algae removal.
2.) can I just go at it with my mag-float or will that cause it spread on everything (LR and substrate).

Thanks,

Don

Attachments

• algae_183.jpg
    algae_183.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 93
the first thing you should do is think about whats causing tha algea and eliminate that. PO4 added to your tank through food or make up water will get you a good algea bloom. here's an article on algea control from the article section:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=14

your tank is pretty new so your issues can be due to it's age as well

When you use the mag-float this can spread spores through out the tank and help it spread too

I would get more algea eaters and let them have at it (6 snails isnt too much), and hopefully as your tak matures the issue wil go away

lawnmower blenny

please see the below thread. I added a lawnmower blenny per the suggestion. He is great... so much character.
Unfortunately there is not much algae any more. The snails have eaten most of it.

I see the blenny eating off rocks/glass where there is not any algae... but not where there are patches of algae.

At this point I have bought some seaweed from the grocery store.

Please explain how to feed it to him. I clipped it to the top corner of the tank but the snails eat through and the sheet broke loose and went to the bottom.

Please give a dummy's guide to feeding this fish properly.

thank you

Back
Top Bottom