Algae ID and Cure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KuhliCray

Aquarium Advice Regular
In my planted 10 gallon tank, I have a bit of an algae problem. I pulled out as much as I could yesterday, but it always seems to grow back. I can’t tell what kind of algae it is, it’s green, has a slimy texture, grows really fast, and has a strong earthy smell. Any advice?IMG_0002.jpg
Sorry if it’s hard to see. I keep attacking any new growth and this is the newest patch.

Looks to be blue green algae. Usually due to a nutrient imbalance. I had it when I first started doing planted tanks. I started cleaning the tank and doing regular water changes and no more bga. Bga also grows where there is little current so possibly your flow of water isn't strong enough? What size tank and what filter are you using?

Looks to be blue green algae. Usually due to a nutrient imbalance. I had it when I first started doing planted tanks. I started cleaning the tank and doing regular water changes and no more bga. Bga also grows where there is little current so possibly your flow of water isn't strong enough? What size tank and what filter are you using?

It’s a 10 gallon tank. I’m currently using a 20 gallon sponge filter. Current looks ok, the top of the water is moving in all areas. Also a thing to note would be that I can’t use algae killers, I have 2 nerites in there.

It’s likely because of high nutrients.

Blue green algae is actually cyano bacteria.

The low flow is a myth. It grows because of nutrients. High flow areas are just less likely to have nutrients settle there. That’s where the myth comes from.

Might be over feeding. Maybe just need some water changes or more plants.

You can use Erythromycin (if available) to treat BGA / Cyanobacteria. In the US it can be obtained at the big box stores or online. You may have to remove the nerites (I saw no drop in the pond/rams horn/MTS populations when I used the product).
There is another product that works on BGA. Typically used for SW, can be used in FW, name is something like Ultra Brite.
Otherwise, frequent removal, increased water changes, and good tank hygiene can reduce or eliminate this scourge.

You can use Erythromycin (if available) to treat BGA / Cyanobacteria. In the US it can be obtained at the big box stores or online. You may have to remove the nerites (I saw no drop in the pond/rams horn/MTS populations when I used the product).
There is another product that works on BGA. Typically used for SW, can be used in FW, name is something like Ultra Brite.
Otherwise, frequent removal, increased water changes, and good tank hygiene can reduce or eliminate this scourge.

Is Erythromycin a type of antibacterial medicine? I saw something similar to that by API in my LFS. Also, thank you for everyone’s replies!

Yes it is. API is the brand that comes to mind in most (US) pet stores.

Thanks for the info, but I have one last question. Would it kill my filter bacteria? If it does, is there a way to prevent it? Or would I have to do a fish in cycle.

Thanks for the info, but I have one last question. Would it kill my filter bacteria? If it does, is there a way to prevent it? Or would I have to do a fish in cycle.

From what I’ve read, yes. When I used it the tank had a very load bioload and lots of plants. I’m pretty sure that the plants helped consume the ammonia and keep it below critical levels.
You could try moving a portion of the filter media into a bucket filled with tank water run an air stone or filter in it. Supply an ammonia source such as pure ammonia, fish flakes, or raw shrimp (latter two in a nylon bag). After the Erythromycin treatment and a big water change, you can reintroduce the filter media.

From what I’ve read, yes. When I used it the tank had a very load bioload and lots of plants. I’m pretty sure that the plants helped consume the ammonia and keep it below critical levels.
You could try moving a portion of the filter media into a bucket filled with tank water run an air stone or filter in it. Supply an ammonia source such as pure ammonia, fish flakes, or raw shrimp (latter two in a nylon bag). After the Erythromycin treatment and a big water change, you can reintroduce the filter media.

Okay, I’ll do that. I’m going to petsmart today to pick up a few things including the medicine. Thanks again for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom