Algae in my recently cycled tank, can I add an algae eater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamie1234

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have set up my 105 litre freshwater fish tank. It has completed it's cycle. Ammonia and Nitrites aren't present and there are low nitrates. There are currently no inhabitants in the tank. I added fish flakes weeks ago to help speed up the process.

Brown Algae has formed on the walls of the tank and a small oily layer is along the top of the water. The driftwood has white fluffy bubbles all over it and the rocks have small algae hairs along them. I have been doing 25% water changes every two days.

I'm wondering what inhabitant I should add first to the tank, I think some form of algae eater would be necessary to help lower the algae levels. I'm thinking a small pleco (most likely bristlenose) or shrimp?

Also what could've caused the symptoms my tank is showing or is it natural? Is my tank ready?

Algae eaters do not eat algae, major misnomer here, particularly the classic algae eater, a common pleco. They are great at creating waste though.

The algae is likely diatoms and will go away on its own. Driftwood will also secrete the bubbles and fuzz for sometime, that too will go away on its on.

Algae eaters are never the solution to algae, the solution is in the cause, usually too much light or excess of algae feeding nutrients.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Algae eaters do not eat algae, major misnomer here, particularly the classic algae eater, a common pleco. They are great at creating waste though.

The algae is likely diatoms and will go away on its own. Driftwood will also secrete the bubbles and fuzz for sometime, that too will go away on its on.

Algae eaters are never the solution to algae, the solution is in the cause, usually too much light or excess of algae feeding nutrients.

okay cool, so should I wait before adding a bristlenose pleco?

I wouldn't get a pleco at all. It will produce tons of waste and probably outgrow your tank. There's a great thread that I'll give you the link to explaining why it's a bad idea to get one. Here it is:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/thinking-of-adding-a-plecostomus-355031.html
If you really want something to help with the algae, just know that nothing will "fix" the problem, but there are some critters that can help a bit. I too have a new tank, around a month or so old, that is covered in diatoms. I added a few nerite snails a few days ago, and I can honestly tell you that's my best suggestion. One of them, in the span of two days, has cleaned an entire (quite large) rock. The other is a bit lazy, but has still worked on cleaning my driftwood, gravel, and anubias. At least in my opinion, the zebra nerite is a better worker than the tiger nerite, but that may vary from snail to snail. They're also gorgeous, won't eat live plants, and won't reproduce in freshwater, so you needn't worry about a snail population explosion.
Hope this helps! :)

Snails aren't really the answer either. Manual removal of diatoms is the best bet, they will run out of fuel and stop growing once the tank runs out of silicates. In a new tank this can take a few months to complete if organics are present, usually 30-60 days tops.

I would add the stock you intend to keep, not anything with a bearing on algae, as most of the algae will be depleted soon, keep lights on no more than 8 hours daily and do regular WC's and things will clear up.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. It's comforting to hear that the diatoms will be gone soon. :)
Also, thank you for correcting me, I apologize...

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. It's comforting to hear that the diatoms will be gone soon. :)
Also, thank you for correcting me, I apologize...

No need to apologize! We are all in this together. Snails aren't the end of the world, it's just a situation where snails produce waste algae can feed off, however diatoms themselves feed on silicates, not waste, so while the snails munch up diatoms(if you're fortunate) they produce phosphates which feed other algae. Usually the plan for diatoms should center around manual labor, and an intense bout of the waiting game.

Thank you so much. I'll make sure to keep that in mind in the future. I really appreciate your patience and kindness in helping me!

Snails aren't really the answer either. Manual removal of diatoms is the best bet, they will run out of fuel and stop growing once the tank runs out of silicates. In a new tank this can take a few months to complete if organics are present, usually 30-60 days tops.

I would add the stock you intend to keep, not anything with a bearing on algae, as most of the algae will be depleted soon, keep lights on no more than 8 hours daily and do regular WC's and things will clear up.

Thanks,
so some hardy fish will be fine in the tank? With maintenance of course ... water changes etc...

Yes, hardy fish should be fine with proper maintenance. Seachem Prime as a water conditioner will help you to compensate for any parameter spikes, and the maintenance will weather you through the diatoms

It's been my experience that a diatom outbreak is part of the cycling phase.....as in you get is just after you successfully cycle the tank

I have also noticed that after a while, with good maintenance, they just sort of go away. . I wiped the glass at each w/c, did my gravel vacs, wiped affected rocks...and just generally did my best not to see it. One day I was cleaning up and realized that there was nothing to be scrubbed:)

They will show up again if your ammonia spikes, but if you keep on top of things, it's not a big deal ;)

Back
Top Bottom