Algae in the filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jubei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

OK, I'm cleaning my whole tank, top to bottom with bleach and water to kill all of my red algae infestation. I'm getting rid of all plants with it on it, and I want to know if I have to clean my filter out to? I mean bleach it and kill every thing, including good bacteria?

thanks

Where are your fish at while you do this? What other methods have you tried? That seems like a pretty extreme method to get rid of it!

When you say red algae, do you mean that rust-colored, soft, easily wiped stuff? If so, that is known as diatoms and usually will resolve itself as a tank matures, or if you increase your lighting a bit. If you are resorting to this then chances are you have tried the simple stuff already! :wink:

I would imagine if you are trying to get rid of all traces (spores) and you are completely tearing down the tank, it would make sense to do the same with the filter. But if the tank is set back up again with the identical conditions as before, it might just recur anyway. It may be worthwhile to try to find the cause for the bloom and make some changes to prevent it.

I'm talking about brush algae. and I'm not sure but I think the cause is to much light and not enought co2.

to much light and not enought co2.
That will definitely do it! I have had success battling algae with an interruption in the light cycle, putting my lights on timers so that they are on 5 hours, off 2 hours, on 5 hours. Meantime I have tweaked my nutrient dosing, but it takes a right good while to see results. I have been so tempted to tear everything down many times, so I feel your pain!

Black Brush Algae (aka BBA) is a red algae. Hard to get rid of but Rex Grigg told me to get my CO2 at 30ppm and keep it there and this will "control" it. IMO it will probably reappear with other plants or fish so I wouldn't nuke your tank if you haven't yet. I have had good luck with control by getting the macros in balance and getting my CO2 up as much as I can... Don't need to worry about too much CO2 if your plants are pearling oxygen like crazy with that much CO2. I can't get to 30ppm CO2 with my mini vortex reactor, but hope to wipe it out once I build a 20 inch in-line DIY reactor. I have noticed it isn't on my Anubias and other plants like it use to be so this can work!

I have also heard of folks controling it with Seachem Excell, tho I have my doubts. SAE are known to eat it as the algae of their last resort, but this doesn't help if you have other fish and they are hard to find except in the summer.
Here is a link to some great stuff on it in the Krib... Good luck and HTH http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Algae/red-algae.html

Just curious,

Have you measured all of your water parameters? Usually algae and Diatom blooms are an indication of a water chemistry inbalance as well as lighting issues as mentioned earlier. For example High Phosphates in your Tap water, Using PH Adjusters (they typically contain phosphoric Acids and consequently increase Phosphates as a precipitate), High Nitrates (xlnt fertilizer for most algaes) and other nasty stuff :).

You may have issues with your water supply in which case you may want to consider RO if you are not already using it.

But I agree with earlier posts - nukin' the tank is likely a bit premature and the problem may return if its root cause is not eliminated.

Just some additional thoughts.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom