algae/moss eater: HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khrisNkyersten

Aquarium Advice Regular
So awhile back, I asked if anyone had suggestion for an algae eater for a 15G freshwater aquarium. People suggested otos (which I'm not terribly interested in, due to rumors they die easily) and nerita snails. I cannot find those snails ANYWHERE. I've been to specialty stores, they only sell them as saltwater.

Are there any other suggestions for something to eat the algae in my tank? Any small versions of plecos? I'm also now having a moss problem on my castle.

I would get a Bristlenose Pleco, I believe 15 gallons is the minimum tank size for them. However, what other fish do you have? If you're already overstocked I wouldn't get a pleco as they carry a massive bio load.

They don't eat algae very much imo. At least not quickly enough to notice.

I think it really varies, depending on the pleco.....Some people have had their BN plecos eat every last bit of algae in their tank. Others have had theirs just sit and munch on driftwood all day. IMHO I think that putting one in would be better than nothing and worth a shot.

I have 5 cory cats, 3 red minors, and an opaline gourami. The cory cats are so cute but useless in cleaning algae or moss. I did worry about too much of a bioload. I have a filter meant for a 30G aquarium.

Maybe a young BNP would be fine but as they mature they get too big for a 15 IMO. I had one in a 17g for almost a year but had to move him to a 26g (3 foot) tank recently. IME they eat some algae but not large amounts. What about a mystery snail? They don't eat as much as nerites but would be a better fit than a BNP.

Back
Top Bottom