Algae on Bio-wheel OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought one of the new Penguin Bio-wheel filters with the transparent housing and noticed that there is a bit of green algae growning on the bio-wheel. Is this normal and is it ok?

The wheel looks like it's still spinning at a normal rate.

Thanks

It sounds great to me!! LOL..
Now just if you could make it bigger and get alot of light on it!..ATS! JK
it will be fine.. if it stops the wheel or slows it down you can always scrape it off.. :mrgreen:

algae on the wheel is actually very good because it gives more surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow. However, like geenmagi said, if it starts to slow down the wheel then you should either scrape some off or wash it off in some dirty tank water in a bucket. HTH!

the wheel is supposed to slow down and it will start to have some irratic movement to it. its not supposed to always spin at the same rate. you do need to take some off if it stops but it slowing down is normal. mine has been running for about 6 months or more now and it has slowed down significantly but it is still doing its job. my tank has always stayed within its parameters.

Cool. Mine has been running for about 2 months now and it spins at a constant rate.

Back
Top Bottom