Algae out of control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThatsCrayFish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everybody, well I hope you can help, I currently have a 55, 46, and 20 gallon tank running smoothly, I also have a cycled 10 gallon tank in my daughters room with a put of control algae issue, at first the tank was getting direct sunlight in a window so I moved the tank to a different spot it's been almost 2 months after I do a water change it only takes about 4-5 days for the algae to come back and after 7 it's overtaken the tank again, she does have the only tank with incandescent lighting, could the heat from the bulbs be the issue here?

It currently houses a male and female betta, a cory, and a ADF

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey everybody, well I hope you can help, I currently have a 55, 46, and 20 gallon tank running smoothly, I also have a cycled 10 gallon tank in my daughters room with a put of control algae issue, at first the tank was getting direct sunlight in a window so I moved the tank to a different spot it's been almost 2 months after I do a water change it only takes about 4-5 days for the algae to come back and after 7 it's overtaken the tank again, she does have the only tank with incandescent lighting, could the heat from the bulbs be the issue here?

Welcome :) how long do you keep the light on each day? This can contribute to algae problems. Maybe diatoms? Does it look brown and nasty?

Caleb

~10g 7 ghost shrimp, Betta,2 ADF
~45g Rescaped! 5 White skirt tetras, 5 green Corys, 3 pandas, 1 peacock Gudgeon.
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

Before we give any answers, did you say a male and female betta together? A BIG no no! That is only ok in a giant aquarium(500+ gallons) or for breeding purposes. I would say remove the female immediately, temorarely housing it in a bucket, and re home it asap. Also, cory cats prefer a shoal of five or more, but are ok with four. Also, are you hand feeding ur adf? They may not be getting enough food with the competition of the tank. I would say re home the female and get more cory cats. For the algae turn off the light for a few days. However, don't do this with live plants.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Before we give any answers, did you say a male and female betta together? A BIG no no! That is only ok in a giant aquarium(500+ gallons) or for breeding purposes. I would say remove the female immediately, temorarely housing it in a bucket, and re home it asap. Also, cory cats prefer a shoal of five or more, but are ok with four. Also, are you hand feeding ur adf? They may not be getting enough food with the competition of the tank. I would say re home the female and get more cory cats. For the algae turn off the light for a few days. However, don't do this with live plants.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's pretty noticeable from the beginning if they are not going to get along IMO.

Caleb

~10g 7 ghost shrimp, Betta,2 ADF
~45g Rescaped! 5 White skirt tetras, 5 green Corys, 3 pandas, 1 peacock Gudgeon.
~75g NEW! dojo loach, 5 black Skirt Tetras, 5 cherry barbs, live plants

Depending on the bettas' personalities they could get alone fine. I'd move the Cories to your bigger tanks.

Too much algae = excess nutrients. Over feeding, overcrowding and fluctuating cycle all cause algae. Feed less and if you get rid of the Cories the lesser bioload should help clear the algae.

Also depends on the type of algae too. Sometimes it could also be caused by the above issues as well as not enough water circulation. Do you have a powerful enough filter?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah they all get along they've been together for over 6 months, luckily. However I keep the light on for about 11 hours, should I scale it down to 8 ?

And it's green, no brown thus far

11 hours is alot unless you have plants.
Also as others have stated, keeping your nitrates low will also help. So lighten the bioload (less fish), water change thoroughly, and feed sparingly once daily.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom