Algae outbreak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
The light in my refugium went out while I was busy with exam week which sadly went unnoticed by me. The problem is that in this time my various types of caulerpa went sexual and dumped a ton of nutrients into the tank. I first noticed something was wrong by the growth of a large amount of brown filamentous algae in the tank.

I rectified the situation quickly with a few largish water changes and replacing the light that died. Thankfully I was able to get my nitrates and phosphates back to where they usually are (0) within a couple days.

The problem is, that the algae is sticking around. I am assuming it is aiding in keeping my trates at 0. Along with siphoning out what I can and keeping nutrients low by reducing feedings, what would you guys suggest I do to hasten up the process? My corals, especially my finger leather, frogspawn, and duncan are kind of pissed about it. My acros and various montipora don't seem to care strangely.

I don't have a picture handy, but it look almost exactly like this so I am assuming Dinoflagellates

dinoflagellates.jpg

I really need to stop trying to keep caulerpa in my refugium... The two times I've had major issues with my tank has been caused by that particular macro algae. I think I am going to just stick with Chaeto from now on.

Well then.. That's an odd effect... Guess they really don't want me using this picture.

hmdrfkM.jpg

Back
Top Bottom