algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquabeast

Aquarium Advice FINatic
im havin a algae problem in my 55 gallon tank, i got a clown pleco in there, but he does no good.. he only eats driftwood.. could i put a bristlenoser in there and they wont fight?

You could try it, but I'd personally go with nerite snails. They do a really good job.

nerite snails are the one that dont breed too rapid? theyre not around here.. im concerned of the 2 plecos fighting

aquabeast said:
nerite snails are the one that dont breed too rapid? theyre not around here.. im concerned of the 2 plecos fighting

They don't breed in freshwater at all. Just get 5 of them and you'll be set. Two plecos are asking for trouble.

before suggesting 'bandaids', I think it would be best to find the cause of the algae. what kind of algae? what is your tank maintenance routine? how often/much do you feed? how much light is on the tank? how long are the lights on? what's your current stocking? planted?

Subscribing. :p I want to know what you do wrong, so I can do it too and get some algae. XD

No Co2. :p So algae shouldn't be hard to grow.

Edit: Apology if you were talking to the OP and not to me.

its not planted. i feed once in the morning, once at night.. lights on 8 to 12 hours a day, i do 50% water changes on all my tanks weekly, but my 55 it gets a 50% on monday and a 20% on friday. its green surface alage on the decoration. its a stock bulb. 8,000 k's.

Hmmm... it could be the fact that you're feeding twice a day, though I don't know if overfeeding contributes.

I'd say it is a combination of excess feeding and excess light- both nutrients that algae love. I would cut back the lighting to 6-8 hours a day and feed no more than once a day. Feeding once every other day is really better IMO unless you're feeding fry

Back
Top Bottom