Algae Wont Go Away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanderson417

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is about 2 years old, 72g. I have one rock that has a persistent green hair algae issue. I take the rock out and completely brush off the Algae, but in about 2-3 weeks the algae grows back in the same spot. What can I do to permanently remove it? The rock has some nice Bam Bam zoas on it, so I would like to keep the rock. Can I dip the infected piece in hydrogen peroxide or something else to get rid of the algae? Again, it only grows on one rock out of many.

Thanks,

SA

And, my Starry blenny, crabs, and foxface will not eat it.

Cheers,

SA

Cuc is great and none of them will touch it. I know the source of my problem and have corrected it. I need to understand why it keeps growing in the same spot on the one rock after I manually remove it, and what I can do to that spot on the rock to prevent it. It's not really bad now, but I want to get rid of it before it gets bad.

Cheers,

SA

well,Ive heard peroxide works,,I've never gone that route,and not sure how it would effect your zoas,but they're pretty tough,and if it were me I'd take a chance on it,before I'd take a chance on the hair algea spreading,Ive heard a ratio of 1 part peroxide to 10 parts tank water,and soak it 10-20 min,,so maybe take that step,,a sea hare will eat it for sure,but they will soon die after its gone,and being that your have just the one spot,thats probably not a good option.Just out of curiosity,what kind of lighting do you use,and how fresh are the bulbs,,old bulbs will change in color spectrum as they age,and can promote nuisanse algea.

I use T5HO with ATI bulbs. I change my bulbs out every 6 months.

Cheers!

Is it possible that the location of rock with hair algae is exposed to outside light like sunlight or your house lighting? Starving it with light is one solution.

Back
Top Bottom