algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would recommend doing a water change as often algae grows due to excess waste in the system. you can always scrape it off manually, or, depending on your tank size you could get a Siamese algae eater. I have had good luck with them and brown algae. you could also try other algae eaters, like a pleco or otocinclus cats. is it a planted tank?

What size is the tank?
What kind of light do you have?
How long do you have your lights on?
What is the stock of fish?
Is it in direct sunlight?
How often do you change your water?

NYgiantsRP said:
What size is the tank?
What kind of light do you have?
How long do you have your lights on?
What is the stock of fish?
Is it in direct sunlight?
How often do you change your water?

180 litres
Juwel t5s
6 hours
1x Bolivian ram
1x neon tetra
2x harlequin Rasbora
2x Cory
2x zebra loach
1x guppy
No not direct but is by window
Once.a week

try turning off your light for a siesta in the middle of the day, because that's when algae grows the most. also, your tank is big enough for most of the algae eaters I suggested so I would try that as well.

What algae eaters do you recommend?

The ones he listed are good. I wouldnt go with a big pleco. I would get a smaller one like a bristlenose. Pleco also have large bioloads. Ideally, it is best to handle the algae without any fish to do the work for you.

You could get a bushy nose Pleco, Otto cats, Siamese algae eaters, shrimp, panda gara, even some bigger snails that your loaches won't mistaken for food.

What algae eaters do you recommend?
I like otos but they can be hard to keep alive, especially in a newly set-up tank. Nerite snails are also good for all types of algae. A good tool(s) to have on hand is a brand new, cheap toothbrush. Also pick up an infants toothbrush, great for getting into the really small spaces. Really cheap too!!!

I like otos but they can be hard to keep alive, especially in a newly set-up tank. Nerite snails are also good for all types of algae. A good tool(s) to have on hand is a brand new, cheap toothbrush. Also pick up an infants toothbrush, great for getting into the really small spaces. Really cheap too!!!

Its been set up for a year

Personally I would try the otos. They are quite small, so get into small spaces. There might be an issue with your loaches but these guys are quick and I have kept them with some cichlids and no problems. I would go for at least 5...

then it is really up to you in terms of what you wanna do. your tank is definitely not overstocked so I wouldn't worry so much :)
you would need to probably get at least a couple oto cats because they work best in numbers. but you have quite a few options!

egrape said:
then it is really up to you in terms of what you wanna do. your tank is definitely not overstocked so I wouldn't worry so much :)
you would need to probably get at least a couple oto cats because they work best in numbers. but you have quite a few options!

Will the otos eat the brown algae as I had some before in this tank and they wouldn't touch it

Not unless your getting tiny shrimp, and your Bolivian is full grown. But otherwise you should be alright with a few large ghost or Amano.

I mean the Otos can but may not. no one really like brown algae. the Siamese algae eater is what I have had the best luck with. but Amano shrimp are also cool, although they do not eat a huge quantity so you might have to get several

Back
Top Bottom