Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hiya, just wondering what algae this is? There's two types in the photo. Small brown/grey clumps of 'hair' (black beard algae?), and long thin strands of algae growing on some of my plants. What is it called?

Algae ID

Hiya, just wondering what algae this is? There's two types in the photo. Small brown/grey clumps of 'hair' (black beard algae?), and long thin strands of algae growing on some of my plants. What is it called?

Hello Mc...

You've just named it, hair or beard algae. There are different kinds of hair algae and different kinds can look the same. Several kinds can live in the same clump. The long strands can be different colors too.

There are many opinions and conflicting information, but if you have a high nutrient level in the tank water and decent lighting, you'll have algae.

B

No photo? Algae appears when the tanks lighting, CO2, and ferts are out of balance. What type of lighting do you have and how many hours a day do you run them? This is often a lot of the problem when algae appears. While your having an algae issue you should only run your lights 6 hours until it's under control. Also what are you nitrate and phosphate levels? Do you use ferts? Do you use CO2 or liquid carbon such as Flourish Excel? Some algaes can be spot treated with Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide 3% but the algae will return if the cause of the algae isn't addressed. A picture would help.

Forgot to attach the photo. (Can't stand this app, i like to see if I've put a photo on or not before I post!!).

Attachments

• image-2161743783.jpg
    image-2161743783.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 80
No photo? Algae appears when the tanks lighting, CO2, and ferts are out of balance. What type of lighting do you have and how many hours a day do you run them? This is often a lot of the problem when algae appears. While your having an algae issue you should only run your lights 6 hours until it's under control. Also what are you nitrate and phosphate levels? Do you use ferts? Do you use CO2 or liquid carbon such as Flourish Excel? Some algaes can be spot treated with Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide 3% but the algae will return if the cause of the algae isn't addressed. A picture would help.

I have t5 lights, heavily planted tank, no ferts or co2 or anything. Lights are on approximately 10hrs so ill cut back on that. Nitrates are low <5, no idea about phosphates. Thank you!

You have BBA and it's hard to see but it almost looks like Staghorn algae. Your plant also looks like it could be struggling with some nutrient deficiency issues. Are your T5's HO or NO? I really suggest if you do nothing else you should get some Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone (iron and potassium) and use these ferts weekly. You want nitrates between 10-20ppm.

You have BBA and it's hard to see but it almost looks like Staghorn algae. Your plant also looks like it could be struggling with some nutrient deficiency issues. Are your T5's HO or NO? I really suggest if you do nothing else you should get some Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone (iron and potassium) and use these ferts weekly. You want nitrates between 10-20ppm.

Thanks. Excuse my ignorance but HO/NO? I can see, all I know is it said T5 when I bought it. Yeah my plants are starting to look a little tatty. I shall get what you suggested then. Thank you! And, yep, google search confirms staghorn algae. Thanks for that!

Ah ok, I understand what you mean by HO/NO. I Don't actually know. But the tank was bought new in February so tentative assumption is HO(!?)

Further question re. Ferts. You advise using both of them weekly? (That's fine, just checking if its either/or - would the flourish not be enough alone?). Also, it must be flourish comprehensive, yes? I've found excel and regular flourish too - the comp is twice the price! That's the one I need though, right? (Sorry for these questions, I have never used any ferts before).

Definitely want to find out if your lights are high output, or normal output. That will determine to an extent what fetrs, and how much. Rivercats suggestions should be implemented as soon as possible. It will definitely make a difference.

Definitely want to find out if your lights are high output, or normal output. That will determine to an extent what fetrs, and how much. Rivercats suggestions should be implemented as soon as possible. It will definitely make a difference.

Thanks. I don't know how to find out. Will it say somewhere on the bulbs? They arrived installed in the hood. I've checked the website I bought it from and it just says t5 lighting (though checking, they only sell HO individual bulbs). They are 39w bulbs. Does that help?

39 watt bulbs are HO (high output) . Is that whats in your hood? It should say on the bulb in your hood. If so, you need to go to a higher dosage of Excel, or consider co2. I would suggest cutting back on the photoperiod. Try starting with 6 hrs per day. Rivercats can suggest a good starting point for a fert regimen!!

What size tank do you have? If it's much over 20 gallons then honestly dry ferts and dosing daily via PPS-Pro would be way cheaper than using liquids. As for the Excel, I'd buy a gallon of Metricide 14 mix it with a gallon of RO or Distilled water and get 2 gallons for around $20 plus shipping. Again way cheaper than Excel, especially for a large tank. Then I'd start dosing at 1ml Glut per 5 gallons of water.

Here's a link to the dry ferts.... PPS-Pro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums. It has everything you need.

You should also get 1 more 500ml dosing bottle.... PPS-Pro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums. PPS-Pro calls for 2 bottles but you can better customize your dosing by mixing nitrates in one bottle, phosphates and potassium in one bottle, and micro in the 3rd bottle.

Here is a link to a thread about dosing PPS-Pro. Only read the opening post not all the comments afterwards.... Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central.

You would also need a digital scale. But these ferts will most likely last a couple years.

What size tank do you have? If it's much over 20 gallons then honestly dry ferts and dosing daily via PPS-Pro would be way cheaper than using liquids. As for the Excel, I'd buy a gallon of Metricide 14 mix it with a gallon of RO or Distilled water and get 2 gallons for around $20 plus shipping. Again way cheaper than Excel, especially for a large tank. Then I'd start dosing at 1ml Glut per 5 gallons of water.

Here's a link to the dry ferts.... PPS-Pro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums. It has everything you need.

You should also get 1 more 500ml dosing bottle.... PPS-Pro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums. PPS-Pro calls for 2 bottles but you can better customize your dosing by mixing nitrates in one bottle, phosphates and potassium in one bottle, and micro in the 3rd bottle.

Here is a link to a thread about dosing PPS-Pro. Only read the opening post not all the comments afterwards.... Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central.

You would also need a digital scale. But these ferts will most likely last a couple years.

Blimey. Right. I have some reading to do. It's a 250ltr tank, and I'm in the UK which limits me somewhat in terms of what I can get hold of, and costs (since many are imported from US and therefor extortionately overpriced). Thank you. I'll try make sense of all this in the morning. I'll be back with more questions for sure.

39 watt bulbs are HO (high output) . Is that whats in your hood? It should say on the bulb in your hood. If so, you need to go to a higher dosage of Excel, or consider co2. I would suggest cutting back on the photoperiod. Try starting with 6 hrs per day. Rivercats can suggest a good starting point for a fert regimen!!

Yep, that's what I have. Excellent, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom