Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkushy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone know what kind of algae this is. It's starting to grow in my new tank. Never had it in the old one. Thanks for any help. Feels spongy when I took it out with tweezers and scraped off easily but in hindsight I may have just helped it spread everywhere. .........

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1413663540052.jpg
    1413663540052.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 1413663553419.jpg
    1413663553419.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 140
  • 1413663567266.jpg
    1413663567266.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 133
I'm not sure about what kind of algae that is, but all the oily surface is showing you the nutrients in the system that can be exported with some more surface agitation so whatever filtration you run can remove it.

I'm confused. Oily on the algae or the clear surface with the zoomed in pics of the algae?? Likely my fault. I took the pics of the algae sitting on top of the tank brace under the canopy. First pic is of the brace and the second pic is just the surface of the water looking down. Does this make more sense or am I missing something which I tend to do lol.

Attachments

• 1413665290117.jpg
    1413665290117.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 1413665326957.jpg
    1413665326957.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 110
Oh, that is through plastic. Then disregard that statement, doesn't look like there is an oily skim on the top of the water in the new pictures. If there is, just point a powerhead up more to break it apart so it can be removed by filtration.
I'm not very familiar with any yellow algae, but my other thought was a sponge and that def isn't a sponge.

I found this in my search

Dinoflangellates
They are among the hardest marine tank nuisance algae to properly identify. They range in color from: dark brown, to light green, to colorless. Most of the time they look like a stringy “snot” and will sometimes have what looks like to be bubbles on their surface. Dinoflangellates are also toxic to most tank inhabitants. Finding a large number of dead snails in a short period of time can be a sign that you have dinaoflangellates in your tank. Due to the toxins, more frequent water changes, manual cleaning, and lots of carbon are recommended in addition to the described control measures in the below sections. Dinaoflangellates can grown on any surface of in your tank.
The below picture is the Dinoflangellates a friend of mine had in her tank. It’s green-ish in color. The picture is not the best quality, but this should give you a idea of what to watch for.

dinos1.jpg

Hmmmm. Very interesting. I just added 20 new snails. If they start to drop like flies........

Ugh. It does seem that way. Any advice people??? This does not sound good.

No idea how I added that face but it is quite fitting lol

Back
Top Bottom