Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
As I feel like everyone is going to yell at me, I'll be succinct. I'm getting awful algae while dosing 10 ml leaf zone daily, 4 hour photoperiod, 4 bps, only 2 lights run per day plus moonlight LEDs. That's 39 watts per light, by the way. Moonlights are 1-2 each, 6 total. Tank looks awful. I did a 2 day blackout and it just seems worse. I have anarchis in there, and myrio, which has grown exponentially and now reaches across the top of the tank. I'm thinking it's due to a filter breaking and less flow. Please help, instead of berating me and telling me to tear it down. I can't change anything now, I don't think you guys get that. I can't send back the light, and I can't get a different one. Okay? This is all I get to work with.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

What's the flow like? What kind of algae? Where your phosphates at? Is all your dosing leaf zone?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I only dose LeafZone and Flourish Comp 1x weekly. I don't think you need daily.

Excel can be dosed daily.

What are you trying to grow ?
And yes, please tell us what kind of algae.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420912818.858923.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm adding a new filter as flow is not even evident from my Aquaclear, since the tetra broke. My own stupidity- accidentally dumped ammocarb in the impeller and it refuses to run now. It's green hair algae mostly and it is all over wood and plants and then a different, shorter, slimy algae on the glass. I'm growing myrio, Anubias, crypts, swords, anarchis, java moss, Vals, and baby tears in floramax. My phosphates, I've no idea. No one carries a phosphate kit around here so I'm trying to get one online. All I'm dosing is leaf zone, which is what brookster told me to in a different thread- 10 ml daily.

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

I wouldn't say that, I'd say dose leaf zone and flourish comp in unison daily.. in a high light, co2 rich environment plants are going to need all the help.they can get to out compete the algae. I may have reccomended dosing excel or glut daily. Ultimately you should get dry ferts and dose pps pro or ei. Lots of research to do young jedi;)

I wouldn't say that, I'd say dose leaf zone and flourish comp in unison daily.. in a high light, co2 rich environment plants are going to need all the help.they can get to out compete the algae. I may have reccomended dosing excel or glut daily. Ultimately you should get dry ferts and dose pps pro or ei. Lots of research to do young jedi;)

I'm gonna agree with brook, take a look at PPS pro or EI dosing. It looks like that the weak spot in your routine is your fertilizers.

I put a new filter on last night so I have ~500 gph going

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

No dead spots??

Maybe about 1/4 isn't getting flow because the Aquaclear is a sucky filter. Should I get some sort of mini internal filter for a bit more flow?

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Back
Top Bottom