Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luma21

Aquarium Advice Regular
Why am I constantly cleaning algae off my glass/ decorations every two weeks or so? I know some algae is okay but I don't think it's supposed to grow back that quick.... Here's a pic. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428423257.754215.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How long is your light on?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 4 hours on, 2 hours off, 4 hours on

It's also all over my crypts and swords too

Where are your nitrates at? Maybe try upping your water changes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a 60 gallon tank that's 24 inches high. And has two t5 high output bulbs on it.
I just started doing a water change and a cleaning so I will let you know soon what my parameters are.

Oh and it's been set up for about 8 months or so!

It looks like diatoms to me and they are just something that comes with new tanks. Not sure how long yours has been set up, but they usually end up starving themselves out of the tank after a while.

Yeah I've heard of diatoms because I think that's why my white silica sand turned kind of brown. Could this all be the cause of diatoms?

Yeah I've heard of diatoms because I think that's why my white silica sand turned kind of brown. Could this all be the cause of diatoms?

Possibly, I had a white silica sand in my mbuna tank for a long time and it constantly had diatoms for about 6 months before it stopped.

Oh okay gotcha. And they just disappear on their own? Any way to speed up the process?

I just tested my water and Ammonia and Nitrites are at 0 and my nitrates are at 5ppm. It was tested with an API master test kit too.

Back
Top Bottom