Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sadielynn

Aquarium Advice Addict
any one care to take a stab at what this is ? 8O
img_749417_0_7afcc03e26b52c67477f7108da3b69df.jpg

That's pretty cool, but can't say I have ever seen anything like that before. I'm fairly sure it's not algae or a macroalgae. If I had to guess I'd say it's a species of sponge.

More info might help. If you touch it, is it hard? Soft? Grow fast or slow? How long has it been there?

I would actually say that it is a kind of macro algae and probably nothing to worry about.

I should add it is like a ballon soft with water in it ?
Fairly fast grower ...with in the last 3 weeks is when I noticed it ...
Perameters
Ammonia 0
NitrIte 0
NitrAte 10
PH8.3
Lights 72 watts pc lights less than 3 months old

I'll PM Fluff and see if she can take a stab at it. I've never seen a macroalgae that looks like that. I don't even know what species it could be. But then there isn't really mouths on it like would be if it were a sponge. I'm fairly baffled, but a sponge is still my loose guess...

Devilishturtles said:
I'll PM Fluff and see if she can take a stab at it. I've never seen a macroalgae that looks like that. I don't even know what species it could be. But then there isn't really mouths on it like would be if it were a sponge. I'm fairly baffled, but a sponge is still my loose guess...

Sorry I couldn't get to this right away, I was making merry with family. :)

Definitely a macro. I really don't know what species it is, other than it being a Rhodophyte sp. Possibly Botryocladia, maybe Pugetia? You may be able to find it at algaebase.org. Either way, it's likely nothing to be concerned with but enjoyed. It's awefully pretty. Good luck with it.

Back
Top Bottom