Algea cleaners....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbneedshelp

Aquarium Advice Freak
i was wondering what would be the best living algea eater to get for a small 10 gal tank?

thanks in advance!!!!

Well, if it's a tropical tank, I'd recommend a bristle nose pleco (Ancistrus). They don't get huge like common plecos and they are very efficient at cleaning algae. Like all plecos, they are somewhat sensitive to water conditions so you need to keep up with partial water changes. I have used a small clay flower pot with a hole in it for a hiding place to keep them happy.

Otocinclus cats are good and stay small also. I have not had much luck with them eating green algae, but they do wonders on diatoms. 10gal is kindof small for ancistrus, IME, but it could work if you don't have a full load otherwise.

I've had Ancistrus temmincki in 10 gal tanks from time to time and they do well. The only get about 4.5 inches long but must, of course, be counted as part of the bio-load. If find them much hardier than otos. They also do better as a single specimen than otos who prefer schools of about 5 or 6. I find it difficult to find healthy otos in the lfs too. If you can find healthy otos and want to keep a small group of them then I think they're great little workers especially as TG says with brown algae (diatoms). I think many lfs don't like to keep otos because they don't sell well nor do they last long in the store tanks.

You are so right about otocinclus. If I am in the market I check in with my fav LFS and sometimes they tell me to wait and see, since they lose so many. I like to get them after they have been there for 2 weeks.

Amano shrimp are OK as long as you don't have fish big enough to eat them and you don't feed them too much other food. If they feed on enough fish food, they tend to lose interest in algae but they are certainly an interesting option.

Back
Top Bottom