Algea Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utradeshow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey Guys, I have a 75gal. I use RO/DI water and had a 4x65 PC and didn't have algea problems. Now I got 2x250 MH and am having Diatom and the glass is getting green fast. The tank is 8mths old

I have great water conditions
PH 8.2
Amm 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 0 or undetectable
Phos 0 or undetectable
Cal 420

Cleanup crew

15 turbo
8 mexican
15 blue leg hermit
6 red hermit
2 emeralds
1 sally light-foot
2 sand stars

WHY WOULD I HAVE ALGEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Utradeshow said:
WHY WOULD I HAVE ALGEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Most likely from the foods you feed. A zero reading on a PO4 test does not mean there isn't any. The test kits are unable to register organic forms that will fuel alages just as quick.

The increase in lighting would simpley have been a catalyst to spur it on otherwise. Especially if the tank was not "acclimated" slowly over several weeks to the new intensity.

Best suggestion is more water changes, review your food types and post how you acclimated the tank to the new light.

Cheers
Steve

Well I acclimated by 6 hr photo period first few days then increased to 9 hrs they have been running 3 weeks now. I feed frozen mix once daily,

Utradeshow said:
Well I acclimated by 6 hr photo period first few days then increased to 9 hrs they have been running 3 weeks now.
That would be part of the issue. When increasing the intensity to any great degree especially with MH, you need to slowly increase the intensity every few days. Limiting the amount of time the lights are on actually doesn't do much at all. Basically you need to shade the light with something (usually several layers of screen door material) while leaving the photoperiod the same. Then every few days or so you simpley remove one layer of the screen until you are up to full intensity. This allows the inhabitants to adjust a little at a time and nothing gets "shocked". It will also help with reducing instances of nuisance algae growth.

Since it's been 3 weeks, you don't really need to alter anything at this point.

I feed frozen mix once daily,
What brands/types of frozen and what fish do you have?

Cheers
Steve

I think I found the problem, My pump to the chiller was clogged up and the water was very warm!! Like 83°!!!!

Fix it and see what happens. Heat can definately contribute to algae propblems.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom