Algea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcedAngelKiss

Aquarium Advice Regular
Had a problem with my tank getting cloudy first thought it was over feeding, cut back on that and still cloudy, finally I looked in the filter I have an aqua clear with the 3 filters and the sponge and carbon had green algae on it...cleaned them in a bowl of fish water and wala the tank is clean ;)
My question is how do you prevent algae from growing?

i do regular treatments of algea fix about half a treat ment though , because i have snails, but i helps the single celled water algea tha makes your water green. i do that every time i change the water so every other week

i keep a snail. he seems to do a good job :) not a single spot of algae yet aside from a little bit of possbile hair algae on the java fern i have

So my tank stayed clean for a day an a half... Now it's green but I don't see any visible algae... My tanks a 26g tall And has been set up since December ... I've kept my light off ... How do I get rid of this crap before it harms my fish? Or puts my tank at risk of another cycle

IcedAngelKiss said:
So my tank stayed clean for a day an a half... Now it's green but I don't see any visible algae... My tanks a 26g tall And has been set up since December ... I've kept my light off ... How do I get rid of this crap before it harms my fish? Or puts my tank at risk of another cycle

Algae is a plant and cannot survive without light. Even though you are keeping the light off is the tank in a room that recieves a lot of sunlight?

Not really but I know we've had the blinds open a lot lately and have forgotten to shut off the tank light a few times, so now the light is off and the room is dark!
Should I replace the filters one at a time? Because when I rinsed out the sponge it made the water turn green, same as the carbon filter. I wouldn't replace them at the same time of course.

I don't think it has to do with your filters at all. Maybe someone else on here knows better? My guess is the natural sunlight through the blinds, it doesn't take much to cause algae.

Back
Top Bottom