Alk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L2

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I had a question about alkalenity in a reef aquarium with fish. 12 gallon. I just tested mine... and it's 2.86... The guy at the store told me to aim for 3.5. Can someone explain to me what Alk really is? I'm a little confused and how can I get my Alk to 3.5? Water change? Or does the tank need more suppliments (ie: iodine, stronium etc)... I just did the test before a water change. Otherwise my fish and coral seem happy and my water quality is A+!

Thanks.

>>Alkalinity<<
>>Calcium and Alkalinity<<

Those article will help some, basically Alkalinity is the buffering capacity of the water, the ability of the water to maintain it's PH. IMO, in a 12g tank, you should be able to maintain CA and ALK as well as your other major and trace elements via weekly water changes. The key is to check your salt mix, if it is not balanced neither will your tank.

By buffer he does not mean it changes the PH level 8.0-8.5. He means it buffers how fast the PH can change. It basically helps keep the PH stable. Alk also controls how easy coral can remove CA from the water column to create skeleton.

By buffer he does not mean it changes the PH level 8.0-8.5. He means it buffers how fast the PH can change.

I know what he means by buffer, I'm just wondering if it stabalizes pH from increasing as well as decreasing.

Back
Top Bottom