all levels at zero...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewz00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
is that possible? to have ammo, nitrate and nitrite all at zero ppm??

its a 90 gal tank....established for aprox 2 months... it was an upgrade from a 45 gal all the decor, gravel, dw moved over... had filter cartridges from old HOB in the tank for about 3-4 weeks...there are about 35 barbs, dianos, corys in it.... i have 4 large octopus plants, 4 fairly large crypt wendii and 2 other plants i cant remember their name....

now i know plants can aid to the breakdown of ammo etc.. but could i really by at ZERO all around?

What type of test kit are you using?
Strips are notoriously inaccurate and API's NO3 test needs to be done meticulously according to instructions.

You should be showing NO3 in a cycled system.

Did you observe it go through a cycle via testing NH3, NO2 & NO3?

Yes, a well balanced planted tank, with a small bio-load can show NH3-0, NO2-0 & NO3-0, but we're talking heavily planted and VERY lightly stocked.

What type of test kit are you using?
Strips are notoriously inaccurate and API's NO3 test needs to be done meticulously according to instructions.

You should be showing NO3 in a cycled system.

Did you observe it go through a cycle via testing NH3, NO2 & NO3?

Yes, a well balanced planted tank, with a small bio-load can show NH3-0, NO2-0 & NO3-0, but we're talking heavily planted and VERY lightly stocked.

its a liquid master test kit....

it absolutely cycled... well mini-cycle... due to the fact that this was an upgrade from a 45 to a 90 gal... all gravel, DW, decor moved over including the filter cartridges.... clearly saw the presence of NO3 for 3 or so weeks following the move....

according to the my profile on AqAdvisor - 90 Gal i am currently stocked at 62% and my filtration is 228%....

so it IS possible to show all zeros?

Yes it's possible. I've forgotten to fertilize my planted tank for about 2 days and all my numbers crashed to 0. I have a very light bioload of 5 otocinclus to tidy up as I let my plants grow in. I'm normally operating at about 15-20ppm of nitrates. I've never seen any ammonia or nitrites in my tank since the cycle though.

I'll also agree that it's possible to have zeros across the board. Lots of plants can suck up the nitrates faster than the fish can make them.

Back
Top Bottom