All male angel fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

docrak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it possible to have a male only tank? I've kept angels before and always end up having a problem when they start pairing up. I recently started keeping Peacock cichlids and have an all male tank. Can the same thing be done with angelfish or will the males develop territories? I don’t think I’ve ever read anything about a unisex angel tank. I believe popular convention is to isolate the two that pair off.

I'm almost sure that it cannot happen. It is known that two females will pair up but two males just won't see the point in that arrangement and incorporate a belief that the male is preventing them from finding a female.

There was an auction on aquabid a while back for a PAIR of male angels. It seems the female of a pair had died, and the lonely male developed an abnormal bond with a smaller male. In most cases though, two males will either stake out separate territories if the tank is large enough, or one will be stressed to death if the tank is too small. I don't know what would happen if there were a crowd of males to spread the aggression around enough that one didn't suffer too much, but it isn't a normal situation for the species.

Back
Top Bottom