All tanks moved into new apartment, 1 loss :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
Man, moving the tanks was chaos because we found out we were moving at the last minute. We found out on Thursday that our manager would prorate us if we got out that weekend. So Friday we had a truck and were packing and moving everything.

First we moved the goldfish tank. We were only going to move that one tank that night because it was so late and we were so tired. Thing is, I remembered everything except for the water conditioner. Crap. Went back for that and decided to bring over the community tank too since we were there. I remembered everything that trip except for the entire hood and the heater. Crap crap crap. So we went back again and decided to get the puffer tank. I remembered everything needed for that tank, however my BF poured the little guys into the tank, along with 5 gallons of water and did it way too fast so that the water pressure stirred the gravel into a whirlwind and undoubtedly injured/buried one of my little puffs. I never did find him. So there was 1 casualty. I cried and was really upset.

The moral of the story is absolutely do not move tanks at the end of a long day of mental and physical exhaustion.

It makes me tired all over again just writing about it :p

That really sucks. I hate moving as it is and don't really relish the fact that I'm going to have to do so in about a year or so...

Sorry about your loss...

The only thing I like about moving is that it forces me to go through things and get rid of stuff I don't need anymore. I was born a packrat so I need that. And hopefully after all my errors I will eventually be an expert tank mover! Next time I'm thinking a checklist would be a smart idea.

So sorry to hear you lost a fish. We just picked up a couple of Dwarf Puffers an few days ago and we were immediately attached to the little guys. Moving day is like a week in hell! Thank god you didn't lose any more. Good luck in your new place!

As a veteran of moving, I have a couple important things I'd advise. Either move the tanks first, or last, and on a totally separate day from the rest of the move, if possible. My moves have always been 50 miles or less, so I know that bit of advice is impractical for long distance moves.

If you can do the tank moves separate from the rest of the move, things go much more smoothly. You are less likely to rush, or be stressed and cranky, not to mention forgetful.

I've done it the wrong way 3-4 times, and the right way twice. I'm a slow learner, what can I say!

Back
Top Bottom