Almost made a drastic mistake.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wendy fm

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I cleaned my ten gallon tank this morning and did a partial water change. Because my tap water is chlorinated I use the fizzy tabs that take the chlorine out. Well I was out of my usual tablets and used a tablet from a packet of tablets that had different tablets for different things. One type to add bacteria, one to adjust the PH and the last strip of tablets were for declorination. I put one tablet in my water filled the tank and checked my ph. It went from being my normal alkaline to being really acidic. I was like,crap. I took out about half of what I put in and without thinking replaced it with some of the the water I had removed. I tested the ph. And it was good again. I then realized what I had done. The bucket that I drained the tank into is a
So one I use to mop the floors with. Meaning there is soap residue in the bucket.
So even though the fish seem ok. Off we went to Wal-mart where I bought the right dechlorination tablets. New test strip, I was out and a fish only bucket. Something I should have done a long time ago.
I then came home and did another partial water change. Everything looks good, not seeing any residue. I will test again in a day or two if everything looks good and do another partial change.
My new fish bucket is under the tank.

Take a permanent marker and label the bucket "FISH ONLY!!!". You can mark the other buckets "NOT FOR FISH". Seems silly but it will help prevent mixups like the one you've described.
Also, you should look into purchasing Seachem Prime for conditioning water. Not only does it neutralize chlorine, it breaks the chloramine bond and temporarily renders ammonia and nitrite non-toxic.

Can I find the Seachem Prime at most Pet or fish stores? Or do I have to order it.

Oh No! If you need the prime conditioner now I'd get it from your store, (sound like you might) if not order it. Store should have it. I use jungle start right. Love that stuff. I got the sachem prime too. Just in case I run out. My back up. Conditioner is the best to do. Helps fish with stress. Gives them the slim coating on they're body's. And helps your water cycles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom