Alternatives to store bought driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm new to the forum and figured I'd start with hopefully an easy question. I'm getting ready to set up my new 55 gallon, freshwater tank, and I want a single piece of driftwood in it. Nothing too big, just something to off-set the color of the plants and offer a little hiding spot. I've looked around at about 6 different stores that sell driftwood, big chains, little mom and pops, etc, and at every single one, even the smallest driftwood pieces are roughly $30-$40. I just can't bring myself to spend $30+ on a tiny piece of wood. Are there alternatives out there? Any precautions to take if I do so? I live on the coast of California, if that helps.

Thanks!

Hello Chiz...

I would think there would be any number of cool places in your area to go hunting for driftwood. Provided, there aren't laws that prohibit this kind of activity. The pieces you find are way better than the stiff in the pet store. The store stuff leaks that tannic acid into the tank water and turns it that amber color that only water changes done the rest of your natural life can remove.

Check out the local rural areas and see what you can find. It's a good opportunity to drive and then get a bit of exercise. Don't forget to pick out some good rocks too. You'll need them to weigh down the driftwood.

B

Wow! Thanks for all the quick responses. I'll look on eBay and start hunting around the woodsy areas of town. Are there any precautions I should take in choosing the wood? Do I just thoroughly rinse it and then leave it out in the sun to dry for a day or two before putting it in the tank?

Driftwood

Hello again Chiz...

I collect the pieces and rinse them well with the pressure nozzle attached to the garden hose. Then, leave them out in the sun to dry. The heat and light will kill any bacteria that may have survived the treated tap water. Then, into the tank with the rocks arranged so the driftwood stays on the bottom.

If you want to get a little creative, let the piece float and get some Java fern and attach it with long strands of black sewing thread. Gives the tank a bit of a different look. The roots of the fern grow into the wood and eventually the thread dissolves away.

B

Hello again Chiz...

I collect the pieces and rinse them well with the pressure nozzle attached to the garden hose. Then, leave them out in the sun to dry. The heat and light will kill any bacteria that may have survived the treated tap water. Then, into the tank with the rocks arranged so the driftwood stays on the bottom.

If you want to get a little creative, let the piece float and get some Java fern and attach it with long strands of black sewing thread. Gives the tank a bit of a different look. The roots of the fern grow into the wood and eventually the thread dissolves away.

B

Thank you for the valuable info. I actually believe I found a great spot to find some dead Manzanita while I was out on my run today, so I'll give that a shot. I like that idea of floating the wood with Java Fern. I'll have to give that a shot.

Chiz, if you live in california, why don't you try some manzanita branches. they're native to CA and it's FREE!!!!!!!!

just find a big shrub and you have yourself a good piece of driftwood once your cure it

Chiz, if you live in california, why don't you try some manzanita branches. they're native to CA and it's FREE!!!!!!!!

just find a big shrub and you have yourself a good piece of driftwood once your cure it

I feel really stupid now, because after I posted this I started doing some research and realized Manzanitas are all over around here. I'll definitely be going out to find some on my own.

Any other recommendations on how to cure it, other than what the gentleman said above (i.e., hose it down and leave it in the sun)?

how do you prep manzanita cuttings before they are safe to put into the tank?

you first need to dry them out, either by direct sun exposure or baking. this kills unwanted pest or bacteria. then you immerse them in water for extended period of time until they sink by themselves or you can have some rock on top of the branches. it's basically the same procedure you would normally follow for driftwood

ahh ok. ive never had driftwood before so im new to the concept.

ill look up a tutorial.

this should be awesome. work in the mountains east of san diego and all the manzanita you could dream of haha

You guys are lucky I wish I could just go and find some drift wood for free

Be very careful 99% of the places Manzanita grows is in National forests and it is a HUGE fine if you are caught poaching wood. I know sounds funny but thats what they call it.

I have a mahoosive apple tree in my garden, when we trim the branches I leave them in the shed to dry out, give it a thorough scrub with a stiff bristle brush and soak it in boiling water. Never had a problem with it :) It does tend to grow white slime when you first put in in the tank but a second scrub usually solves that :) (The fish eat the slime too....Yuck)

Back
Top Bottom