Am I overcrowding This tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SBGGrace

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone, :?

I have new 55 Gallon tank that has just recently been set up. I leak tested it for 48 hours last week. Then I put in all of the aquascaping, setup the filters and the tank is looking good. We were advised to let it run fishless for at least a week before adding fish. The fish we would like to add are; 2-4 Blue-Eyed Cichlids, 2-4 Moonlight Gouramis, 2-4 Pearl Gouramis, and 6-10 Albino Cory's (I wanted an all Cichlid tank, but my wife wants Gouramis :)). According to some or the books/articles that I have read, all of these fish should get allong in a community tank.

My problem is that I have been reading so much that I now find myself confused as to wether this combination of fish will get along, and how they should be added to the aquarium. We spoke with a guy at the local Aquarium that says we can add about 10 fish to begin with and then wait two weeks before adding any more. Is 10 a good number or should we add more/less? Should all 10 be the same species or should we provide a mixture initially? In my reading, some have said that any new fish should be quarantined for at least 3 weeks before adding to the aquarium. No problem. I have a 5 gallon tank for this purpose. Is 3 weeks ok or should it be longer/shorter? Should I trust the dealer that sells me the fish, or quarantine them regardless of the source? The dealer is the largest in Toronto and has a good reputation. Is this a good combination or should I rethink the stocking of my aquarium? There is so much conflicting information out there and any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

overstocking?

I wouldn't add all of the fish at once because the ammonia/stress will hurt them. You can try the humane fishless cycle listed on the website or introduce a few fish at a time to help cushion the ammonia spikes until the tank cycles. I would probably go with the docile fish first and add like 3 corys first. If your filtration is strong I don't believe you'll have a problem if you overstock it a little. From experience African Cichlids seem to do better with a very understocked tank or one thats crowded with no middle ground...I don't know about gouramis. Corys rule though :D

I don't know about your specific fish you want, but start off with the least aggressives, and work your way up--if you put the more aggressive in first they have already staked out territory when the newer passive guys show up--I would start off slow, 10 small fish should be fine as long as you watch your ammonia, nitrite readings...does your five gallon have any fish in it now? if it does , take some of the filter media from it and put it in your filter in the 55 a day or so after you add your first batch of fish, this well help it cycle faster....

Thanks for the feedback Erik and CRaZee. I just started the procedure for a fishless cycle today. Funny you should mention to add the least aggressive first. I was planning to add the Corys first, then the Gouramis after a week, and the Blue-Eyed Cichlids a couple of weeks after that. The Cichlids will actually be in my 5 gallon quarantine tank for the first three weeks because I am buying them off a guy that I do not know who has successfully bred them. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom