Am I setting up for a Nano Reef correctly? (Equip questions)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janky

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've read the sticky a couple of times and done a bit of research based on it. We have a freshwater QT tank that we are going to convert to a nano reef - it is a 12 gallon hexagonal, which I think will look kind of cool if we build upward with the live rock.

For equipment I'm assuming we'll need the standards; HOB filter, heater, and a light.
In addition I understand that I'll need at least a small protein skimmer (hob?) and maybe a powerhead (Will I need it on a tank this small? I have a spare one laying around... j/w if it's necessary)

Does that look good for equipment? Am I missing anything?

Also - I'd like to have some corals. I don't really know a lot about them as far as differences (sps lps ?) but I know I like the brain corals, and we'd prob put one small clown fish in the tank, so we'd like to get a mid-size anemone as well (if that's possible).

For the corals, this is where it dictates what kind of lighting I need, right? Do I want just metal hallide? The fixture on the hex is weird, and it's not a standard T8 18" like most standard tanks it's size - it's a bizarre one that fits a 12" bulb only - so am I going to be limited on options?
I assume I could buy regular metal hallide bulbs at home depot and not have a problem finding this size...

Also
My gf is obsessed with the dragonet fish (the psychedelic ones) but I don't think it'd fit well in a 12 gallon tall. Thoughts?

I'm on a budget too, so I'd like to avoid buying $150 skimmers and $200 HO light fixtures if possible.

Thanks in advance!

A skimmer won't be necessary but a powerhead will be. :)

Lights will dictate what types of corals and anemones you can keep. A nem needs a very established tank and super intense lighting. I wouldnt put one in a 12g tank though, most get too big.

As far as a mandarin thats a definite no no. You would need a whole lot more rock than you can fit in there and they are very very finicy eaters. they eat pods usually not prepared foods that you normally buy, very special fish. :-D

A skimmer won't be necessary but a powerhead will be. :)

Lights will dictate what types of corals and anemones you can keep. A nem needs a very established tank and super intense lighting. I wouldnt put one in a 12g tank though, most get too big.

As far as a mandarin thats a definite no no. You would need a whole lot more rock than you can fit in there and they are very very finicy eaters. they eat pods usually not prepared foods that you normally buy, very special fish. :-D

thank you. so no anemone and no mandarin... Ok.
This will be our first venture into salt, so that's fine... we're learning and should stick to more basic stuff anyway.

So no skimmer? Just a HOB filter and powerhead?

What kind of lights should I run? I noticed that aquatrader had LED's in 12". Decent pricing too, so I would be ok with those - but I want to run whatever is going to give me the most options for corals.

What would be my limit on fish? Keep in mind it's a tall hex, so swimming room would be upwards mostly after the rock is put in...

I'm thinking either
1 small clown
1 firefish
or 1 goby of some sort
those with maybe a shrimp or two?

I don't want them to be too crowded.

Also the power head I have is the "powerhead 301" that came with my 55 gal when I bought it.
Is that going to be way too much for a tiny 12 gal? Or is it still use-able? Sorry I've never even hooked one of these up and have no idea how it works :hide:

I like the stock list. :) as long as the clown is an ocellaris clown and the goby is a small one like a yellow watchman or a clown goby then your fine ;) ya get some shrimp! Cleaner, Peppermint, fire shrinp are all good, reef safe, peaceful options!

Back
Top Bottom