Amano shrimp and water hardness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matty2085

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I was just wondering whether keeping Amano shrimps has any effect on water hardness. I have kept them before and am now wondering whether their shed exoskeleton adds to water hardness if it is not removed immediately. Any thoughts?

Cheers

No, the shed exoskeleton will not have any noticeable impact on your water parameters.

Welcome to AA! We are glad to have you here. :)

That's brilliant. Thanks for your reply and welcome :) I'm currently trying to decide whether to go for a few Otos or for Amano shrimp...need a clean up crew so just have to make a decision.

Amano shrimp are almost always easier to keep IMO, as they more readily adapt to prepared foods vs. Otocinculus, when the algae runs out.

Amano shrimp are almost always easier to keep IMO, as they more readily adapt to prepared foods vs. Otocinculus, when the algae runs out.

+1. .. I find Amano shrimp are hardier than ottos ... which enough members have commented on their sensitivity being right up there with rummynoses and cardinal tetras. I just started adding Amano's in the past month or so and I do enjoy seeing them scurrying for food ... Now that I added a few more.

Thanks both for your replies. I have kept Amano Shrimp before and also enjoy watching them. Love it when they seem to realise food is on the way and start darting round the tank and swimming to the surface. Having never kept Ottos and having had success with shrimps before, adding in your advice I think it will be the Amanos for this tank. :)

Good news! At least for my fish .... Their feasting on an Amano! Not what I wanted to see, but I'm confident it died and now it's an all out fight for the carcass. Ever see barbs fight it out for shrimp? A bit funny watching one with a shrimp tail sticking out of its mouth being chased by the others.

I had a feeling earlier today they were dining on crustacean by the activity I saw by a pile of rocks. Last time I saw that a month back, I saw a shrimp tail in a barbs mouth.

jcolon said:
Good news! At least for my fish .... Their feasting on an Amano! Not what I wanted to see, but I'm confident it died and now it's an all out fight for the carcass. Ever see barbs fight it out for shrimp? A bit funny watching one with a shrimp tail sticking out of its mouth being chased by the others.

I had a feeling earlier today they were dining on crustacean by the activity I saw by a pile of rocks. Last time I saw that a month back, I saw a shrimp tail in a barbs mouth.

Oops ... Posted the above in the wrong thread. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom