amano shrimp care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I bought 6 amano shrimps about a week ago. The first night, one of them died. A couple of days later another one died.

Do they need something special?

My tank is planted. They've got plenty of algea to eat and there is a piece of wood they can hide under.

Thanks
Vero

(see below and "myinfo" for info on my tank... it's up to date)

No, they dont need any spoecial care I never lost one and never did naythignf or them. Just feed a bit of algae wafers once in a while

It is possible they just died from stress or something else form the LFS. :) dont worry

Sorry to hear it, Vero. I never took any special care of mine, either and they did fine. Maybe your LFS just got a bad batch or something. You don't seem to have any fish that would have bothered them.

If that is the same thing as a bamboo, mine do amazingly well.

I just flipped over a piece of driftwood and they went nuts all over it. Mine seem to get active when I throw in peas. Otherwise, they just hang out on the filter. Right now one is hanging out in the bubbles. You would think that would hurt. :lol:

i never do anything special for mine. I would consider them the most hardy shrimp of all. I agree with the bad batch or the stress. Good luck with the rest of them and i am sorry to hear about your loss.

bamboo shrimp are a tad different than amanos. bamboo are reddish brown, amanos are a clear with a little bit of greenish coloring? bamboos filter and amanos eat stuff with their claws.

Do you dose the plants with ferts? Shrimp are very sensitive to many things that fish aren't, and more sensitive to things that fish are also. Nitrates and phosphates are critical, often overlooked factors for shrimp. Then there are all the rest...

... turned out my amano shrimps did not die...

I moved things around to count them and found six of them (I had bought six).

They molt like crazy. Just about every day I find a new "skin". They are getting big now (over an inch long).

I guess they like it in there!

Yeah, they will molt liek crazy for a few months then slow down as they reach max size. Many Many times I thought I had some dead amanos, turns out is was just molting. It is good that they are molting, you have enough iodine in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom