Amazon sword and direct sun question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duydawg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my tank I have a {mod edit} poor LED light that I recently learned is not supportive of plants that need medium-high light.

I went and bought amazon swords and was wondering if one hour of direct sun light everyday would be enough to keep them alive and green.

I personally don't care if they do not grow, I just want them to stay small, green, and alive.

In addition, I have anubias, wisteria, and some java moss. Will those benefit from the hour of direct sunlight?

imagegan.jpg

imagekes.jpg

imageixtw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to be really careful when it comes to sunlight. You have a really small tank which can be overheated very quickly. That is the biggest concern. After that algae is the next issue. You will most likely have real algae problems. I really don't think its a good idea but that's just my opinion.

Sunlight is not a real good idea. Major algae issues in the near future.
You would be better off with a desk lamp or two with a screw in CFL bulb. Or upgrade your fixture.

BTW, properly cared for an Amazon Swords will not stay small.

I am constantly trimming leaves off my 2 in the 220g to keep them in the space I want them. If I let them go I can't imagine how large they would be.

Back
Top Bottom