Ammonia and nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mulch05

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right this morning came down to my tank and first thing I did was my API test. So ammonia was up and so was nitrite. I don't know what's causing this!! I got a new filter from fish shop and it was already seeded and I'm wondering if this is causing this spike. My tank has been going a month no issues but I have done a 50 water change and they all seamed happy. Advice please guys ??

If it's already seeded it's probably the cause. Specially if you took the old filter off and put the new one on. Your going through cycling all over again with the new filter. If you were already cycled that is?... Did you have a filter on it before?

Its a secondary filter and guys said it would help with my tank as it wasn't 100%clear and I kept getting little spikes. So I'm now doing another water change and my nitrates are at 15ppm, ammonia 0 and nitrites at 0.25ppm I'm all over the shop

One filter or two, seeded or nbot seeded there is a fact that can't be denied - nitrosomonas bacteria population is not present in sufficient numbers to cope with the amount of ammonia produced. You didn't mention you nitrate reading so not clear if you have significant population of nitrobacter.

Not the end of the world however, some of it is clearly there and numbers will get established in time, maybe as little as few days as there is "food" available for them . For now monitor the levels and change water once a day. I also jump-started my latest tank with preseeded media, still it took about 4 days to stabilize (I did it fishless however to avoid extra water changes)

I did a decent water change but why is this happening I have had no issues until my new filter, the fish seam happy no one had died [emoji106] but my water just seamed to go to pot. All I did was add extra floss to my u4 and got an air filter. I'm not overfeeding and there's never food left to pollute the water so I'm kinda stuck

I did a decent water change but why is this happening I have had no issues until my new filter, the fish seam happy no one had died [emoji106] but my water just seamed to go to pot. All I did was add extra floss to my u4 and got an air filter. I'm not overfeeding and there's never food left to pollute the water so I'm kinda stuck

so you are still running your old filter as well?

If you were having no problems why did you buy the new 'preseeded' filter to help with little spikes?

I bought a new one and the guys at the shop recommended me to have there seeded one. They sell preserved filters. But everything this morning seams kosher

Don't listen to most of what fish stores tell you. they are no better than a carny at a carnival trying to get your money to win a stuffed animal. If you where having no problems before the new filter, I'd take that filter back. Or take it off and just keep it for a spare. Imo

Second thought. (Just reread alittle) just keep testing and do your water changes to cycle the new filter. It will help with the spikes after it gets cycled. It shouldn't take long. Just keep an eye on your fish.

Definitely keeping an eye on my fish I have puregen coming tomorrow so that will help greatly and my daily water changes will help but don't want to destroy vital GOOD BACTERIA

Keep an eye on it and be cautious of the nitrite spike. i would test the water and if the nitrite stays at .25 and the ammonia is at 0, I would do a 30% water change and add a bit of prime to it if you have it. I just recently went through a mini cycle seeding with ammonia and the nitrites and nitrates were out of the roof. I had the filters left in tact in my canister from a previous cycle and it took 19 days to get a no ammonia and no nitrite reading. I have a feeling that your nitrite is going to rise on you over the next bit. Do you have any live plants in your tank? Also, is your PH above 6?

If you have a nitrite of .25 and you do a 50% water change you will still have around .12 ppm. A couple of 50% water changes would be necessary.

Ill redo a 50% tonight and nope no live plants. I need to sort this out as my ph is 6.8 and ammonia is 0 but nitrites went sky high and so did nitrates no idea why it's happening tho

I had nitrite readings in a tank recently set up with seeded media also.
Not sure why it happened and the media was good in other tank.
I just did 50% water changes and double dosed prime/safe to convert what was still left.
I have been doing this daily for about a week. I am zero now. Nature is sure fickle and as soon as we think predictable she makes fools of some of us ! I look at it as natures way of telling me to change water on the new tank anyways ?
Only bad things happen fast in aquariums so hang in there.
IMO the extra seeded media is a good thing and may help in the future with the spikes you were experiencing.
Hang in there !

Back
Top Bottom