Ammonia Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThomasG07

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I am doing multiple water changes to get my extremely high ammonia rates down (4 ppm) I just did a 75 percent water change and I am going to do another one in a about an hour because it lowered the ammonia to 2 ppm. I put all the decorations back in after the first one. Do i need to remove them again for the second one? and do I need to revacuum the gravel the second time?

ThomasG07 said:

Well that is why it so high..... Try leaving it be now and wait another two weeks and test again.....the colony of beneficial bacteria isn't strong enough yet.

Some cycling can take 8 weeks

Bettafanatic said:
Well I guess we've found out why there's so much ammonia! So you're doing a fish-in cycle?

Ya the very first thing I posted was about 75 percent water changes for the fishes sake that someone suggested I do in another post I was in

Do not add any more fish to that tank till its cycled or they'll most likely die from the ammonia.Also only add one at a time afterward so the bacteria can catch up to the bio load

tonedogz said:
Do not add any more fish to that tank till its cycled or they'll most likely die from the ammonia.Also only add one at a time afterward so the bacteria can catch up to the bio load

Ya i wish I could find someone that wants the three tetras so I can get rid of some

You can't just leave it be, you need to be testing the water daily and doing water changes as often as it takes to keep ammonia and nitrites no higher than .25 ppm, sometimes that means daily. Anything above .25 is toxic for your fish. Cycling can be a very long process and you have to be patient but diligent.

Do NOT leave it alone as previously suggested by another poster. You're doing exactly what you should be, test daily & do water changes as needed. I've been doing at least 50% & some times more just to be safe with my 2 tanks fish in cycling, so far no loss of life after 4 & 5 weeks.

How many Serpaes do you have? They're probably not the best choice for a 10 gal and I doubt you'd be able to add anything else. The ammonia is rising fast b/c of the bioload of the fish; too many fish for too small a tank.

Wow. I hope you are not confused here friend. I have read several different opinions. AA can you please set the record straight for him?

Something isn't right here. You started with 4ppm, did a 75% PWC, and now you have 2ppm? That should have brought it down to 1ppm. Are you sure you're testing correctly? I highly doubt, even with a high concentration of chloramine, that your tap water would have 1ppm ammonia.

mfdrookie516 said:
Something isn't right here. You started with 4ppm, did a 75% PWC, and now you have 2ppm? That should have brought it down to 1ppm. Are you sure you're testing correctly? I highly doubt, even with a high concentration of chloramine, that your tap water would have 1ppm ammonia.

My original question from this post was about vacuuming my gravel again when doing two 75 PWC's and that was already answered for me lol my ammonia is now at .25 ppm

librarygirl said:
How many Serpaes do you have? They're probably not the best choice for a 10 gal and I doubt you'd be able to add anything else. The ammonia is rising fast b/c of the bioload of the fish; too many fish for too small a tank.

So the rule of one inch of fish per gallon is not accurate?

Back
Top Bottom