Ammonia Detected

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afurlow96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been cycling my 10 gallon tank with Fish-in cycling (yes, yes, give me hate for doing fish-in) and tested the water just now, everything is at 0 except ammonia. Ammonia is one higher than 0... 0.5 if I'm not mistaken. Been doing 50% water changes daily - guy at the LFS told me it could be because I'm using tap water and drops to make the water suitable rather than buying distilled water (maybe he was just trying to make a sale of distilled water). But another theory of mine was that it is because my fish for fish in cycling is a goldfish (yes,yes a ten gallon is too small for him i know, he is moving once the tank is cycled). So could the low ammonia level be because of the goldfish or is it just not finished cycling?

How long have you been trying to cycle the tank. Also did you test your tap water to see what you are adding with your water changes.

The tank has been cycling for about 5 days, doing daily water changes and no i have not tested my tap water

If its a brand new unseeded filter then you have barely even started the cycle if its only 5 days in. You have many many weeks to go.

Your ammonia readings would be contributed by the goldfish, but also if theres any ammonia in your tap water. Take a sample of tap water and test it. Let it sit for 24hours before testing. Test for all of pH, ammo, nitrites and nitrates so you understand what your baseline is and what you are adding with each wc.

With each water change add Seachem Prime. Follow the directions on the bottle.

Forget about distilled water. Wasted money on an uncycled tank. Water changes and Prime are your best allies now.

Back
Top Bottom