Ammonia Droppingly Slowly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyPhil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All.

I am currently on day 18 of my fishless cycle but the ammonia seems to be taking a while to drop! But perhaps i'm being impatient...!

Summary:

33 US Gallon Tank
Fluval U3 Filter (blowing bubbles for oxygenation)
No Live Plants (except one in the beginning that quickly died, but left me with some pet snails!)
Temp: 29C
PH: 7.5

I initially dosed the tank to 5ppm ammonia and it's been dropping back down to about 1ppm in about 5 days or more. I have dosed a further two times. However, although nitrites and nitrAtes are present, they are very low. Nitrite reached 0.5ppm but is now at 0.1ppm, even though I have dosed to 5ppm ammonia three times.

Does anyone find it strange that my ammonia is not dropping quicker and the nitrites are a bit weird? I have seen others cycling with ammonia dropping within 24 hours by this time.

I guess the good thing is that at least the ammonia is dropping, even if slowly!

Any help/advice/reassurance would be very much appreciated!

Phil

I have never dosed ammonia to cycle a tank because I believe it can 'meddle' with the natural order of things. If I were you I would stop dosing ammonia and wait for nitrite and nitrate to drop then add your first hardy livestock. Keep an eye on ammonia levels and if they peak again wait until nitrates drop until you put in more stock. By this time the tank should have sufficient bacteria levels.
I am curious as to why your temp is so high, if you are considering keeping a tropical community then 26 would be better. 29C is good for discus, although a pH less than 7 is needed for them to be healthy(I keep mine at 6.4 and 28C).
Hope this helps :)

FishyPhil said:
Hi All.

I am currently on day 18 of my fishless cycle but the ammonia seems to be taking a while to drop! But perhaps i'm being impatient...!

Summary:

33 US Gallon Tank
Fluval U3 Filter (blowing bubbles for oxygenation)
No Live Plants (except one in the beginning that quickly died, but left me with some pet snails!)
Temp: 29C
PH: 7.5

I initially dosed the tank to 5ppm ammonia and it's been dropping back down to about 1ppm in about 5 days or more. I have dosed a further two times. However, although nitrites and nitrAtes are present, they are very low. Nitrite reached 0.5ppm but is now at 0.1ppm, even though I have dosed to 5ppm ammonia three times.

Does anyone find it strange that my ammonia is not dropping quicker and the nitrites are a bit weird? I have seen others cycling with ammonia dropping within 24 hours by this time.

I guess the good thing is that at least the ammonia is dropping, even if slowly!

Any help/advice/reassurance would be very much appreciated!

Phil

Hi!
At 18 days I wouldn't be worried as of yet. It is still in the average range. The fact that you are seeing nitrites is good! Keep dosing the tank when ammonia reaches 1ppm.

Aquarium_Lover04 said:
I have never dosed ammonia to cycle a tank because I believe it can 'meddle' with the natural order of things. If I were you I would stop dosing ammonia and wait for nitrite and nitrate to drop then add your first hardy livestock. Keep an eye on ammonia levels and if they peak again wait until nitrates drop until you put in more stock. By this time the tank should have sufficient bacteria levels.
I am curious as to why your temp is so high, if you are considering keeping a tropical community then 26 would be better. 29C is good for discus, although a pH less than 7 is needed for them to be healthy(I keep mine at 6.4 and 28C).
Hope this helps :)

The temperature is up high for the cycle. It helps it along. It will be turned down before the introduction of fish.

I would say continue with your process but only go up to 4ppms and just be patient... that really is the hardest part, trust me all 7 of my tanks were cycled as you are doing and sucks to have an awesome setup with nothing in it. But I have the mentality that I value all of my fish(shrimp) regardless of size or price and I would rather not expose them to anything potentially harmful or risk anything.

Just be patient, it's one of those things that as you're waiting it will seem like a lifetime but in a week or so you'll notice ammonia dropping faster and then you'll get frustrated again because nitrites are barely showing up and then a couple days you'll see them. Then you'll get frustrated with no nitrates but seemingly the next day they show up and you're just about done. Hang in there it can be frustrating but its worth it.

Thank you for all of your help and support guys! It really helps just to get some feedback and to know that you're doing the right thing!

Fishless cycling a tank is definitely a test of patience! But it's also a perfect opportunity to learn as much as possible about those lovely fish you'll eventually have and how to take care of them properly!

Just to let everyone know, tested Nitrites tonight (day 19) and it's gone from 0.1ppm to 0.8ppm! I believe my Nitrite spike has begun, yippeee!

It's surprising how happy you can become just by seeing water turning purple! My girlfriend looked at me a bit strangely lol. Hopefully i'll be ready for fish in another week or two!

FishyPhil said:
Just to let everyone know, tested Nitrites tonight (day 19) and it's gone from 0.1ppm to 0.8ppm! I believe my Nitrite spike has begun, yippeee!

It's surprising how happy you can become just by seeing water turning purple! My girlfriend looked at me a bit strangely lol. Hopefully i'll be ready for fish in another week or two!

Yay! It is exciting when you see the color you want. My hubby doesn't understand either! Lol

That's awesome. I'm doing the checking for purple myself! I can't wait to do the dark purple dance!! Yay!!

Back
Top Bottom