Ammonia (fishless cycle)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im watching closely, good luck! Im in the process of seeing where my 55g is with this process.

I may have already asked this, but just in case I didnt, do you have lots of aeration? You can drop the tank level some to have splashing from your filters to increase it easily. What is your temp at (if you have a heater)?

Hi, I'm wondering, did you seed your tank? If you did, what did you seed it with? I'm just wondering since I'm about to start doing this with my 34 gallon, and I'm trying to gauge (probably in vain) how long my cycle will take.

Have water level bout 6 inches low. Water splashing and bubbles going. Put filter in from my 10 gallon and a plastic decoration. Heater turned up to bout 84-86. I know it will being to drop. :)

bud29 said:
Hi, I'm wondering, did you seed your tank? If you did, what did you seed it with? I'm just wondering since I'm about to start doing this with my 34 gallon, and I'm trying to gauge (probably in vain) how long my cycle will take.

Bud read my previous post. I am a newbie to this also. Thanking everyone with all their help. :mad:

Once this cycle is complete. What type of fish?? This is freshwater. 36 gallon. I have 2 tanks with the following in them.
2 guppies
2 red fin sharks
4 tetras
1 algae eater
1 danio
1 adf
2 Chinese algea eater, (not positive)
1 dwarf gourima
1 platy
Bunch of ghost shrimp

Will take any suggestions on what to put with or not put with.. R anything that would b better. I love bright colored fish. I still want to keep the ghost shrimp. They make an excellent clean up crew!! Thanks in advance for the input. :)

I was going to suggest a couple of fancy goldfish, simply because I like them so much... only...

I doubt your intention is for your ghost shrimp to end up as in between meal snacks!

I would love to help you with stocking but Im a coldwater girl! If some of our more experienced tropical members dont chime in, Librarygirl, LyndaB, MummaofTwo or Absoluteangel will all offer you advice if you send them a pm. :)

Well, I'm no tropical expert like some, but I'm not exactly a newbie either. I would suggest getting some zebra danios. They are very active and fun to watch. Also, if you're going for color, you could go with GloFish instead of zebra danios because they are just genetically modified ZDs. German Blue rams are cool but are not for beginners as they are very touchy and need pristine water conditions. I don't know how they will treat ghost shrimp, though:ermm:. Harlequin rasboras and chili rasboras are also very fun fish and add some color. They should treat your shrimp well. A swordtail or two could also add some color and they are fun and active. Then there are also guppies and platys which are peaceful colorful fish, too. A large school of neon tetras would look neat too. And of course you don't have to do the traditional red and blue ones. There are black ones and green ones, too.

So 2 weeks with no ammonia drop? You probably will start seeing the ammonia level go down very soon. Oh, and once you get high nitrItes, just think, the nitrIte<nitrAte conversion can take twice as long as the ammonia<nitrIte conversion does. But don't worry. For some reason, judging from many cycling threads the people who had a long amm.<nitrIte conversion had a little shorter of a nitrite<nitrAte conversion and the people who had a short amm.<nitrIte conversion seemed to have had an excruciatingly long nitrite<nitrAte conversion. Don't really know why. Something tells me your nitrIte<nitrAte conversion won't take a month, though:)

Put the 6.97 ml of ammonia in 6-19-2012. I will take another reading tomorrow and it will b day 15!! :)

I am still at 4.0 ppm ammonia. I am gonna take some more gravel out of 10 gallon and move to 46 gallon. I also have filter from 10 gallon in 46 gallon. I hope to see some dropping ammonia soon.

Back
Top Bottom