Ammonia for cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuckyWanderer

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been cycling my 5.5 gallon tank for 3 weeks now with fish food. The first week was spent adding the food, waiting for it to decay, testing ammonia then adding more food. Since I am in the nitrite stage I really would like to not have to wait for food to decay. So today I went to the dollar store and picked up some ammonia. My question is how do I know if its safe for my aquarium? I will add some pictures of the label.20180302_125001.jpg20180302_124953.jpg20180302_124940.jpg

Make sure the cap is screwed on tightly. Shake the bottle vigorously for about 5 seconds. If the ammonia foams up it is no good. No foam is what you want.l

When I shake it it foams but then it goes away pretty fast.

If I put up a video of me shaking the bottle and link it, could you tell me if I can or can not use it?

You lost your patience... Something you should never loss with this hobby. Your so close.

You should be good. Foam takes a while to disappear. When I did my fishless cycle I did a YouTube search " ammonia for fishless cycle " that's how I found the foam test.

The video is kind of low quality, I will shake then take a picture. The first is right after shaking the next is a few seconds after.20180302_171300.jpg20180302_171239.jpg

I just poured some of my ammonia in a jar and shook it and it settled like yours did in your pictures. So I think you're good. Your video had more bubbles in your jug than my 900 ml bottle had in it.

Why don't u go to your lfs, and see if they have Dr. Tim's, it's great, I used that...it's exactly the ammonia you would need to cycle. It's a small bottle....you don't need that unless ur going to clean your house with that purchase from Ace...lol

Last edited:
I don't see anything on the bottle that gives % of ammonia. I don't like how it says it shines all surfaces...I wouldn't trust it. I wasted a month with Ace Hardware "Pure Ammonia" it did not work for me, but others have had no problems. I ended up getting this (below) and cycled my 30 gallon in a week. Biologically Active Sponge Filters for Aquarium

If the cycle gets messed up it's just gonna take you longer and have to start all over. I really wouldn't change anything you've been doing. If I were you I'd just dump some fish food in a bottle of water and let it soak shake it up before you add some to the tank when need to.

Do you know anyone with a healthy, established aquarium? Media from their filter will have you cycled in no time.
I’ve cycled many tanks with Ace brand ammonia. I don’t trust the one you purchased. If you don’t have access to the Ace ammonia, then I agree with Angellove...just keep on keeping on with what you’re doing.

I think I will just keep doing what I have been originally. I just wanted a faster way to get the ammonia concentration than having to wait for the food to rot and add more.

This is the bio sponge I got from Angel Plus. It looks like a borg cube in my new nano tank lol.

Attachments

• TopFin 5.jpg
    TopFin 5.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 55
The only ammonia other than Dr Tims that I would trust is from Ace Hardware. It should say Janitor Strength on the bottle, and I believe it is 10% ammonia, 90% water.

pACE-951690dt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom