Ammonia in established tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skylyrylee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have a four month old established tank that was reading normal and healthy. For three weeks now I have been struggling with it in both tanks. Used ammonia lock and added ammonia chips. How do I get it back to normal? Do I keep cleaning out the water with the ammonia lock?

What is your Ph? Also what size is the tank? What is the stock list in the tank? What is your WC schedule and how much do you change weekly? Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? What is your actual ammonia reading right now?

Sorry I have a 55 gallon with
3 mollies
1 gourami
1 pleco
7 tetras
4 danios
8 platies
It is reading around 1-2ppm tonight.

The second tank is a 30 gallon with
6 platies
8 tetras
Pleco

Same routine but usually a 10-15 gallon weekly water change. This tank is really high at 4-8ppm. I have been fighting it for weeks. Water changes regularly, added ammonia lock and now just added ammonia chips.

I vacuum weekly with usually a 15-20 gallon change. I just did my plants (artificial) two weeks ago and then changed the filter this week. think I may have eliminated my good bacteria , now that I talk this out.

My ammonia was always low 0-.25ppm so is my tap water in the big tank. Little tank has always been a struggle.

If you killed off a lot of your BB then that would explain it. Funny when you start thinking through everything how we often find our own answers..lol! I do suggest doing a couple large 50% WC's to get levels down to .25ppm or lower. You also might want to consider doing a larger 50% WC weekly just to ensure all toxin and nutrient levels are kept low. With having the 55g tank you might want to consider getting an Aqueon Water Changer. No more buckets! Just hook them up to the faucet and let it do the work. My largest tank is a 220g and I have 2- 55g tanks along with others and the Water Changer is my best friend as I do 50% changes in all my tanks weekly.

Jut got a python water changer. LOVE IT OMG!!! What a difference!

I will continue to change the water in both tanks until it lowers AGAIN!!!!

Back
Top Bottom